Cardinal Cruises in Quarters
OJAI, Calif. - No. 18 Stanford opened the Pac-12 Tournament with a clinical effort against No. 37 Oregon, advancing past the Ducks 4-0. The Cardinal will now face the tournament's No. 2 seed UCLA on Friday at 3 p.m. in the semifinals.
Stanford faced early deficits in doubles play but quickly flipped the script to take the first point of the evening. Playing together for the first time since November, India Houghton and Valencia Xu earned a 6-2 win on court three, while Sara Choy and Alexandra Yepifanova rattled of five straight games for a 6-4 victory on court two.
Five of the six first sets in singles went Stanford's way, and it was only a matter of who would finish first for the Cardinal. Angelica Blake tallied her 16th victory of the spring, followed right behind by Sara Choy on court six, 6-2, 6-2. No. 21 Alexandra Yepifanova pushed her win streak to seven matches with a 6-2, 6-2 win on court two, and that was enough to push the Cardinal into the semifinals.
Stanford is now 11-1 all-time at the Pac-12 Tournament and is seeking its first championship since 2019.
No. 18 Stanford 4, No. 37 Oregon 0
1. #13 Angelica Blake/Connie Ma(STAN) vs. Sophie Luescher/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) 5-5 DNF
2. Sara Choy/Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) def. Lillian Mould/Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE) 6-4
3. India Houghton/Valencia Xu (STAN) d. Allison Mulville/Myah Petchey (ORE) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. #23 Connie Ma (STAN) led Sophie Luescher (ORE) 6-2, 4-1 DNF
2. #21 Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) d. Myah Petchey (ORE) 6-2, 6-2
3. Angelica Blake (STAN) d. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE) 6-3, 6-2
4. India Houghton (STAN) led Karin Young (ORE) 6-3, 3-4
5. #109 Valencia Xu (STAN) led Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) 1-6, 6-2, 1-0
6. Sara Choy (STAN) d. Misaki Kobayashi (ORE) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2