Cal Falls to ASU 4-3 In Pac-12 Semis
OJAI, Calif. – Top-seeded California women's tennis – the Pac-12 regular-season champion and the 2021 Pac-12 tournament champ – lost to fifth-seeded Arizona State, 4-3, in Friday's Pac-12 Championship semifinals at the Ojai Valley Athletic Club.
Cal's record now stands at 16-7. ASU, which improved to 16-6, advances to Saturday's 12 p.m. final.
The Golden Bears took a 1-0 lead after doubles. The pair of Erin Richardson and Julia Rosenqvist started things off with a 6-2 win over Marianna Argyrokastriti and Cali Jankowski on court three. After a setback on court two, Cal clinched the point when the 39th-ranked duo of Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov bested ASU's 21st-ranked Patrijica Spaka and Dominika Turkovic, 7-6(3), on court one.
The Bears looked good early in singles, winning four of six first sets. But eventual losses by Ivanov and Giavara left Cal trailing 2-1.
Cal's Katja Wiersholm – playing in her first conference tournament – won on court three over ASU's Sedona Gallagher, 6-3, 6-2, and when Rosenqvist – playing in her last Pac-12 Championship – beat Jankowski, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, on court four, Cal had a 3-2 lead.
Another Cal loss – by freshman Jessica Alsola on court two – tied the match at 3-3. ASU then clinched its victory when Argyrokastriti beat Hannah Viller Moeller, 2-6, 6-1, 6-4, on court six.
"At the end of the day this is part of the process," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said. "The team competed hard, and we still walk away as the regular-season Pac 12 champion. We won a good doubles point today, and we were super close on a lot of courts. A couple points either way could've changed things. I'm proud of how hard we battled. We've got a lot of tennis to play going forward."
Cal now awaits the May 2 announcement of the NCAA tournament field.
"We've had a good experience here in Ojai," Augustus said, "and we're looking forward to NCAA tournament selections and getting ready to go."
Pac-12 Championship Semifinal
 No. 20 Arizona State (16-6) defeated  No. 8 California (16-7), 4-3
April 22, 2022, in Ojai, Calif.
Ojai Valley Athletic Club
1. No. 39 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. No. 21 Patrijica Spaka/Dominika Turkovic (ASU), 7-6(3)*
2. Giulia Morlet/Sedona Gallagher (ASU) def. No. 68 Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (Cal), 7-5
3. Julia Rosenqvist/Erin Richardson (Cal) def. Marianna Argyrokastriti/Cali Jankowski (ASU), 6-2
Order of Finish – 3, 2, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 110 Giulia Morlet (ASU) def. No. 62 Haley Giavara (Cal), 6-4, 6-2
2. Domenika Turkovic (ASU) def. No. 64 Jessica Alsola (Cal), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Katja Wiersholm (Cal) def. Sedona Gallagher (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Cali Jankowski (ASU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
5. Patrijica Spaka (ASU) def. Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
6. Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU) def. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4^
Order of Finish – 5, 1, 3, 4, 2, 6^
^Clinched the overall match