Sun Devil Softball Brings 20 Game Win Streak to Stanford
STANFORD, Calif. -- Riding on an NCAA Division I leading 20-game win streak, No. 10 Arizona State (31-5, 12-0 Pac-12) will be back on the road as they travel to the Bay Area to take on Stanford (27-12, 6-6 Pac-12). The three matchups with the Cardinal will begin on Friday at 6 p.m.
The next two games will be played on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. and Sunday at 12 p.m., all three games will be broadcasted on the Stanford Live Stream.
ASU held its first home series since March 20 as it swept Utah in a three-game series to reach a current 12-0 standing in Pac-12 conference play this past weekend. After picking up the series sweeping win on Saturday, the Sun Devils tied their all-time win streak in conference play with those 12 wins, the first time since 2011 when they were National Champions. Also following the win Saturday, the Sun Devils are now 13-1 over the Utes in the last 14 games the two squads have played.
It was a successful weekend for junior and leadoff batter Alynah Torres. She had leadoff homers in back-to-back games as she went yard as the first ASU batter in Friday and Saturday's wins. Torres additionally had her third career two-run home run game on Friday as she also had four RBIs. In Saturday's series finale, her second leadoff home run of the season along with a double brought her to five hits, five RBIs and a .500 batting average on the weekend. From her efforts this weekend, Torres was named Pac-12 Player of the Week, making her the third Sun Devil to get the honor this season.
Cydney Sanders continued her dominance in her freshman campaign over the weekend where she earned her second Pac-12 Freshman of the Week award of the season from the conference's office. She hit a pivotal home run in the first game of the series against Utah that tied the game for ASU in the bottom of the sixth inning where the Sun Devils would go on to win the game in extra innings. Sanders homered in every game over the weekend against the Utes as she currently leads the team in home runs with 14 and RBIs with 47 so far this season.
For the pitching staff, freshman Mac Morgan picked up her team-high 14th win of the season as she currently has 47 strikeouts to 20 walks on the season. Junior Lindsay Lopez has six wins on the season with a team-leading ERA of 1.47 and picked up her second save on the season on Saturday. Marissa Schuld also has 82 strikeouts to just five walks and leads the pitchers in saves with three this season.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
- Sun Devil softball is riding on a 20-game winning streak that includes conference opponent sweeps over both Oregon schools, Arizona and Utah. They currently sit all alone at the top of the conference as their 12 consecutive wins in conference play are a tie for a winning streak held by the 2011 National Championship team.
- Historically, ASU is 42-18 against Stanford, and is 9-1 in their last 10 matchups with the Cardinal.
- ASU is 4th in the nation in home runs per game with an average of 2.03 per game.
- The Sun Devils are 2nd in the nation in team on base percentage and team slugging percentage
- ASU is 1st in the Pac-12 in batting average, slugging percentage, runs scored, RBIs, total bases and home runs.
- The Sun Devils are 5th in the country in team batting average.
- Yanni Acuña's batting average ranks 7th overall in the country and 1st in the Pac-12.
- Acuña and Sanders are 1st and 3rd in the Pac-12 in batting average; They are also 1st and 2nd in on base percentage in the Pac-12.
- True freshman Cydney Sanders leads the Sun Devils with 14 home runs. She also leads the team with 47 RBIs.
- In the circle, Lindsay Lopez leads the Sun Devils with a 1.47 ERA.
- Pitcher Marissa Schuld is tied with the most saves in the Pac-12 with three saves.
Game 1: Friday 4/22 6:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | Stanford Live Stream
Game 2: Saturday 4/23 2:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | Stanford Live Stream
Game 3: Sunday 4/24 12:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | Stanford Live Stream
USA Softball/ESPN.com - 10
NFCA/USA Today - 13
Softball America - 10
D1 Softball - 11