USC Track & Field Wins 8 Events At Chris Rinne Twilight Meet
The USC track and field team had a dominating performance by winning eight events and placing an athlete in the top five of 16 of 17 events in which it competed at the Chris Rinne Twilight meet in in Riverside, Calif. today (April 22).
- Nikolaos Polychroniou won the men's hammer throw competition with a best throw of 212-3 (64.70m), one centimeter farther than his best mark in his first meet, the Beach Opener on March 4.
- Jalaysiya Smith won the women's 100m hurdles with a time of 13.31 (+1.1). Breanna Bernard-Joseph was third with a season-best time of 13.82 (+1.1) and Maci Simmons was eighth with a PR of 14.59 (+0.4).
- Tade Ojora won the men's 110m hurdles title with a time of 13.87 (+1.5). Zion Gordon was fourth with a season-best time of 14.66 (+0.0).
- Bailey Lear won the women's 400m with a time of 53.82, while Janiah Brown was third with a time of 56.89 and Jemima Russell was sixth with a time of 58.59.
- Johnnie Blockburger won the men's 400m with a season best time of 45.57. That time would rank ninth on the descending order list entering this weekend. Kasaun James, in his first meet since the indoor season, posted a slight PR of 46.50 to finish second in the men's 400m, followed by Nicholas Ramey in third with a time of 46.53. Sam VanDorpe ran a PR of 47.37 to finish fifth overall.
- Kaelin Roberts won the women's 100m dash with a time of 11.63 (+1.1) and Jan'Taijah Ford was third with a time of 11.80 (+0.5), both in their first collegiate 100m races. Chioma Okonkwo was fourth with a time of 11.83, Makhaila Mills was fifth with a time of 11.94 (+0.5) and Jalaysiya Smith was sixth with a time of 12.00 (+0.4). USC earned five of the top six finishes, with the second-place finisher Kayla Richardson being a former Trojan runner.
- Isabelle Cairns won the women's 800m with a time of 2:15.66 and Mihajla Milovanovic was third with a PR of 2:18.15.
- USC went 1-2-3 in the women's 200m dash with Ford winning with a time of 23.68 (+1.0), Okonkwo taking second at 23:92 (+0.9) and Lear finishing third with a time of 24.24 (+0.9).
- Summer Mosley placed second in the women's hammer throw competition with a best mark of 192-6 (58.68m).
- Ashton Allen finished second in the men's 100m dash with a PR of 10.41 (-0.4). Daniel Robinson finished fourth in the 100m with a time of 10.61 (-0.6) and Gavin Schurr finished fifth with a time of 10.62 (-0.6).
- Karlee Freeman had a discus throw mark of 173-10 (53.00m) to finish second and Summer Mosley a throw of 166-8 (50.80m) to take third in the women's discus throw competition.
- Milovanovic finished second in the women's 1500m race with a time of 4:42.35.
- Annabel Doherty took third in the women's javelin throw by matching her season best with a throw of 119-6 (36.44m).
- Dylan Lange placed third in the men's javelin throw with a mark of 160-6 (48.92m).
- Johnson III finished third in the men's 200m race with a time of 21.95 (+0.5).
- Morgan Fierro placed fifth in the men's 1500m race with a time of 4:03.08. He also was sixth in the men's 800m competition with a time of 1:57.33.
The Trojans' track and field team will be in action this coming weekend when it hosts UCLA in the annual USC-UCLA Dual Meet on May 1 at Loker Stadium, beginning at 11 a.m. The hammer throw competition will take place on April 30 beginning at noon at the South Bay Throws Facility.
# # # # #