Big Week at Home Begins Tuesday vs. Dixie State
|2022 Utah Baseball Game Notes|
Date // Time (MT)
|Utah (23-15-1 overall, 9-9 Pac-12) vs. Dixie State (16-22 overall, 10-11 WAC)
Tuesday, April 26 // 4 p.m. MT
|Location||Salt Lake City, Utah (Smith's Ballpark)|
|Tickets||Buy Tickets // Or call (801) 581-UTIX (8849)
Admission for students is always FREE with a valid UCard
|Streaming||Utah Live Stream|
|Game Notes||Utah // Dixie State|
|@UtahBaseball Social Media||Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // #GoUtes // #UteNotes|
Utes Announce Schedule Updates
Wednesday's non-conference game at Utah Valley (April 27) has been cancelled after both teams mutually agreed to the change. This leaves the Utes with four games on the schedule this week: a Tuesday, April 26 matchup with Dixie State at Smith's Ballpark, followed up with a three-game Pac-12 series vs. No. 2 Oregon State (April 29-May 1).
The First Pitch: Things to Know
Winners in five of its last six games, and six of the last eight contests, the Utah baseball team is back in Salt Lake City this week and begins a quick home stand with in-state foe Dixie State on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m. MT at Smith's Ballpark.
- The Utes are coming off of a Pac-12 series win out at USC this past weekend. Utah took the first two games by scores of 11-3 and 10-5, but came up just short in the bid for the series sweep in a 4-2 setback on Sunday.
- Utah and Dixie State split a pair of matchups during the 2021 season, with the road team coming out on top in each game. The Utes mounted a late rally in Salt Lake City in a 9-7 loss, but bounced back down in St. George with a commanding 16-3 triumph at Bruce Hurst Field.
- These teams will meet once more in 2022, heading down Interstate 15 to St. George for a May 11 meeting at Dixie State's Bruce Hurst Field.
- Utah reached 20 wins with the rubber game triumph over Arizona on April 16. It ensured the first 20-win season for the program since 2017 (27) and tied the fastest that the club reached the mark since 2011 (35 games).
Recap in a Minute
Utah looks to continue riding the momentum of a 4-1 week, a stretch that saw the Utes walk-off in exciting fashion vs. BYU (April 19) before going to Los Angeles and taking two games at USC (April 22-24). It gave the team its fourth series victory in Pac-12 play this season.
- It was also the first road series win over the Trojans since 2012—that year, Utah began its time as a Pac-12 member with two wins at Dedeaux Field.
- Right-handed pitcher Matthew Sox went the distance in Friday's series-opening win over the Trojans, the first complete game by a Utah pitcher since 2017. It was just the second complete game in the Pac-12 this season and earned Sox acclaim as Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
- Designated hitter Jayden Kiernan clubbed his first career home run and had a three-run double during the USC series, highlighting a .438 week at the plate (7-for-16) for Kiernan. He had a team-leading 10 RBI.
- Two-out hitting continues to be a strong point for the club, as 18 of the team's 30 RBI last week took place with two away.