Baseball Heads To Utah For Three
Oregon State (32-8, 13-5) vs. Utah (24-15-1, 9-9)
April 29, 2022 • 10:00 a.m. PT • Salt Lake City, Utah • Smith's Ballpark
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (8-0, 2.08) vs. RHP Matthew Sox (3-2, 4.91)
Oregon State opens a three-game series with Utah Friday morning at Smith's Ballpark in Salt Lake City. First pitch is scheduled for 10 a.m. PT (11 a.m. in Utah).
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks with Thad Anderson calling the matchup.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Networks can watch the game online at Pac-12.com or by using the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Justin Boyd hit a home run and stole one from Oregon as the Beavers defeated the Ducks, 4-2, Tuesday night at PK Park in Eugene. Boyd hit his fifth home run of the season in the fourth, then robbed Oregon's Jack Scanlon of a home run in the fifth. Wade Meckler and Jacob Melton each had two hits to pace the Beavers. Meckler drove in the game's final run on a single in the seventh. Mitchell Verburg earned the win with scoreless innings in relief in the seventh and eighth. Jaren Hunter started and worked four scoreless innings, but did not figure in the decision.
• Oregon State is 28-6-1 lifetime against Utah, including an 8-4 mark in Salt Lake City.
• The teams last played in SLC in 2018 due to the 2020 matchup being cancelled because of Covid-19. The Utes won that series, 2-1.
• The Beavers have won eight of the nine series played between the teams since Utah's first season in the conference, in 2012.
Oregon State Notes
• Wade Meckler extended his hit streak to nine games on Tuesday, and is 19-for-39 with eight doubles and 12 RBI during it.
• Meckler has also reached base safely in all 40 games this season.
• Justin Boyd has 15 RBI in his last seven games. He also has three home runs during a seven-game hit streak.
• Boyd (41) ranks tied for fourth in the Pac-12 for RBI. Jacob Melton is first with 48.
• Melton also ranks second with a .371 batting average, tied with Meckler. Boyd is seventh at .359.
• Cooper Hjerpe has struck out 38 to just seven walks issued in 27 1/3 innings away from home this season. He is 5-0 with a 2.31 ERA combined in road and neutral-site games.
• The Beavers, at 13-3, are assured of their 13th consecutive winning record in the month of April.
• Hjerpe, Mitchell Verburg, Ian Lawson and Reid Sebby are the only pitchers on the 2022 roster who appeared against the Utes last season.
• Verburg has held opponents to just two hits and two walks in his last 7 2/3 innings, spanning four outings. He has struck out nine.
• Melton leads the Beavers with a 10-game hit streak (12-for-34, five doubles, seven RBI).