No. 3 UCLA Beats No. 8 Stanford, 3-0
TUCSON, Ariz. -- No. 3 UCLA (30-5) advanced to the winner's bracket final of the 2022 Pac-12 Championship with a 3-0 win over third-seeded Stanford (24-10) on Thursday morning at Arizona's Bear Down Beach. UCLA improved to 16-0 all-time against the Cardinal.
UCLA's Lea Monkhouse and Jessie Smith continued their dominant play together (9-2), winning 21-16, 21-17 on court three over Stanford's Emmy Sharp and Taylor Wilson to put the Bruins up 1-0.
Lexy Denaburg and Abby Van Winkle (22-7), recently named AVCA All-Americans, took down the All-American pair from Stanford, Kate Reilly and Xolani Hodel, 21-15, 21-12, on court one to put the Bruins up 2-0.
Marlie Monserez and Rileigh Powers improved to 10-0 on the year and clinched the Bruins' win on court four, defeating the Cardinal's pair of Maddie Dailey and Maya Harvey, 21-14, 21-17.
UCLA's Devon Newberry and Jaden Whitmarsh (26-5) were unable to finish their match with Maddi Kriz and Charlie Ekstrom, but they were leading 21-19, 15-13, on court two.
Natalie Myszkowski and Sophie Moore (26-5) were also unable to finish their match with Emma Morris and Jordan McKinney on court five, leading 21-15, 15-21, 6-5.
The second-seeded Bruins return to action later today when they take on No. 1 USC in the winner's bracket final of the 2022 Pac-12 Championship at 3:15 p.m. PT on the Pac-12 Networks.
No. 3 UCLA def. No. 8 Stanford, 3-0
Bear Down Beach • Tucson, Ariz.
Thursday, Apr. 28, 2022 • 10:15 AM PT
Records: UCLA (30-5), STAN (24-10)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Kate Reilly/Xolani Hodel (STAN) 21-15, 21-12
2. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) vs. Maddi Kriz/Charlie Ekstrom (STAN) 21-19, 15-13, DNF
3. Lea Monkhouse/Jessie Smith (UCLA) def. Emmy Sharp/Taylor Wilson (STAN) 21-16, 21-17
4. Marlie Monserez/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) def. Maddie Dailey/Maya Harvey (STAN) 21-14, 21-17
5. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) vs. Emma Morris/Jordan McKinney (STAN) 21-15, 15-21, 6-5, DNF
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4*