No. 12 USC Rowing Sweeps the Competition at the Big Ten/Pac-12 Challenge
IOWA CITY, Iowa – The No.12 ranked USC women's rowing had a six-race sweep going 6-0 placing first in every race. The regatta was moved out of Lake Macbride due to poor weather conditions and landed at Coralville Reservoir. The Women of Troy defeated boats from Wisconsin, Iowa, UCF and Minnesota.
- Fr. Bella Debenedetti coxed for the Trojan's Varsity Eight Boat. Jenna Van De Grift sat in the stroke seat for the Trojans. Succeeding the stroke seat was Cecilie Brünnich Sørensen, Annabel Aron, Claudia Cabula, Grete Alttoa, Ryleigh Megill, Ingrid Brast and Zoe McCutcheon.
- Sr. Olivia Lau coxed for the Second Varsity Eight. In the stroke seat was Celia Marino. Following Marino was Ludvoica Braglia, Clare Widzgowski, Ieva Medelinskaite, Chiara Meakin, Anna Molnar, Anastasiia Slivina, and in the bow was Isabella Lysaker.
- Sr. Lillian Lau sat in the coxswain seat for the Varsity Four. The Trojans stroke seat was occupied by Fiona Batstone. Then was Jane Cox, Jemima Morgan and in the bow was Sonja Washburn.
- The Varsity Eight was first on the water for the Trojans. In the first session for USC, coxswain Bella Debenedetti led the Women of Troy to first place with a time of 6:45.0. The Trojan boat was five seconds ahead of UCF's boat with UCF's time being 6:50.0. The second session for the Varsity Eight boat was just as successful. The Women of Troy finished in first place with a time of 06:46.84. The Trojan boat was one second ahead of Minnesota's boat.
- The Second Varsity Eight was the second race for the Trojans. In the first session, coxswain Olivia Lau guided the Trojans to first place finish with a time of 6:53.3. The Women of Troy finished ahead of UCF by one second, with UCF's time at 6:54.8. In the second session for the Second Varsity Eight, USC crossed the finish line in first place with a time of 06:56.41.
- Last to compete was the Varsity Four. In the first session, as Lillian Lau coxed, the Women of Troy crossed the finish line first with a time of 7:39.4. Six seconds behind the Trojan boat was Iowa, with a time of 7:45.4. USC in the second session, finished off the day with another victory. The Women of finished in first place with a time of 07:41.65.
Quotes from Coach
"Iowa and the Iowa support staff hosted a fabulous regatta." Said Head Coach Josh Adam. "We changed venues on Wednesday and by Friday you would have thought it was their home course. A big thanks to head coach Jeff Garbutt for being an amazing host to us this week.
"We learned a great deal about ourselves racing these Big Ten and American conference teams. Now we need to take these lessons into championship season. Everyone gets faster at the championship - it's such an exciting time of year!"
- USC travels next to Dexter Lake in Dexter, Ore. on May 15 to compete in the Pac-12 Championship.
- For more information on the USC women's rowing team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @uscwomensrowing.
|Varsity Eight||Second Varsity Eight||Varsity Four|
|1 06:45.0 USC||1 06:53.3 USC||1 07:39.4 USC|
|2 06:50.0 UCF||2 06:54.8 UCF||2 07:45.4 Iowa|
|3 06:56.1 Iowa||3 06:58.8 Iowa||3 07:46.2 UCF|
|Varsity Eight Session 2||Second Varsity Eight Session 2||Varsity Four Session 2|
|1 06:46.84 USC||1 06:56.41 USC||1 07:41.65 USC|
|2 06:47.99 Minnesota||2 06:57.51 Wisconsin||2 07:53.89 Minnesota|
|3 07:00.44 Wisconsin||3 07:07.66 Minnesota||3 08:01.03 Wisconsin|
|USC 1V8||USC 2V8||USC 1V4|
|Cox Bella Denedetti||Cox Olivia Lau||Cox Lillian Lau|
|Stk. Jenna Van De Grift||Stk. Celia Marino||4 Fiona Batstone|
|7 Cecilie Brünnich Sørensen||7 Ludovica Braglia||3 Jane Cox|
|6 Annabel Aron||6 Clare Widzgowski||2 Jemima Morgan|
|5 Claudia Cabula||5 Ieva Medelinskaite||Bow Sonja Washburn|
|4 Grete Alttoa||4 Chiara Meakin|
|3 Ryleigh Megill||3 Anna Molnar|
|2 Ingrid Brast||2 Anastasiia Slivina|
|Bow Zoe McCutcheon||Bow Isabella Lysaker|