No. 3 UCLA Takes Down No. 12 California, 3-0
TUCSON, Ariz. -- No. 3 UCLA (31-6) advanced to the Pac-12 Championship game with a 3-0 win over No. 12 California (26-13) in the contender's bracket final of the 2022 Pac-12 Championship on Friday morning at Arizona's Bear Down Beach. UCLA improved to 11-0 all-time against the Golden Bears.
UCLA's Lea Monkhouse and Jessie Smith (10-3) put the Bruins on the board first with a 21-18, 21-14 win over California's Ella Dreibholz and Lexi McKeown on court three.
On court one, UCLA's Lexy Denaburg and Abby Van Winkle (23-8) put the Bruins up 2-0 with a 21-19, 21-15 win over the Golden Bears' Ana Costa and Maya Gessner.
That set up UCLA's Natalie Myszkowski and Sophie Moore (28-5), who clinched the dual victory with a 21-18, 21-17, victory on court five over Cal's Natalie Martin and Alex Young-Gomez.
UCLA's Devon Newberry and Jaden Whitmarsh (26-5) were unable to finish their match with Ashley Delgado and Ainsley Radell, but they were leading 21-18, 14-15, on court two.
California was leading on court four where Ava Mann and Brooke Buchner led UCLA's Marlie Monserez and Rileigh Powers (10-1), 21-18, 19-17, when the dual was decided.
The second-seeded Bruins return to action today at 2:00 p.m. PT when they take on No. 1 USC for the Pac-12 Championship on the Pac-12 Networks.
No. 3 UCLA def. No. 12 California, 3-0
Bear Down Beach • Tucson, Ariz.
Friday, Apr. 29, 2022 • 11:00 AM PT
Records: UCLA (31-6), CAL (26-13)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Ana Costa/Maya Gessner (CAL) 21-19, 21-15
2. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) vs. Ashley Delgado/Ainsley Radell (CAL) 21-18, 14-15, DNF
3. Lea Monkhouse/Jessie Smith (UCLA) def. Ella Dreibholz/Lexi McKeown (CAL) 21-18, 21-14
4. Marlie Monserez/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) vs. Ava Mann/Brooke Buchner (CAL) 18-21, 17-19, DNF
5. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. Natalie Martin/Alex Young-Gomez (CAL) 21-18, 21-17
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5*