No. 9 Sun Devil Softball Look to Rebound against California
TEMPE, Ariz.– Following a series defeat to Stanford last weekend, No. 9 Sun Devil softball (32-7, 13-2 Pac-12) look to stay atop of the Pac-12 standings as they are currently tied with UCLA for first place. The Sun Devils host back-to-back weekends at Farrington Stadium, beginning with a vital series against California (26-20-1, 6-9 Pac-12). The first of three matchups will begin on Friday at 6 pm on Pac-12 Network.
The next two games will be on Saturday at 6 pm and on Sunday at 12 pm and will both be featured on Pac-12 Network.
Friday will mark the first weekend series between the Sun Devils and the Golden Bears since 2019, where ASU took two out of three in the weekend series three years ago. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic and positive cases in 2020 and 2021, both series had to be canceled. Since 2013, the Sun Devils have won seven straight series against the Golden Bears, compiling a record of 17-4 in that span against California.
Freshman Cydney Sanders hit her team-leading 15th home run last Friday, which is tied for second in the conference. Sanders currently has a seven-game hitting streak, and has gotten a hit in 31 of 39 games this season. This ranks her for third in the Pac-12 in batting average, tied for second in RBIs and fourth in home runs. Yanni Acuña continues to lead the team in batting average at .436, she hit her 10th home run of the season Sunday and has gotten on base 21 of the last 23 times.
Alynah Torres has hit five home runs in the last five games, one included a two-run home run which led the Sun Devils to a 3-1 win last Saturday. Torres continued her hot bat as she hit her fourth leadoff home run last Sunday to bring her total to 11 home runs on the season which is good for third on the team. Torres has gotten a hit in 10 of the last 11 games which has included eight home runs and 14 RBIs.
Going back into the circle, Lindsay Lopez continues to lead the team with a 1.38 ERA, while Marissa Schuld leads the team in strikeouts with 82 and is tied for second in saves with three, while only giving up five walks. Mac Morgan leads the team in wins with 14 on the season and has pitched the most innings so far with 80.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
- In the last 12 games at Farrington against Cal, the Sun Devils are 9-3 and have outscored the Golden Bears 90-49.
- Historically, Arizona State is 62-69 against California but have won seven straight series against California.
- Five Sun Devils have 10 or more home runs on the season. (Yanni Acuña, Jazmine Hill, Alynah Torres, Jazmyn Rollin and Cydney Sanders)
- Sun Devil Softball is 27-0 when scoring more than six runs this season.
- ASU is 4th in the nation in home runs per game with an average of 1.97 per game.
- The Sun Devils are 4th in the nation in team on base percent- age (.434) 3rd in team slugging percentage (.643).
- ASU is 1st in the Pac-12 in bat- ting average, slugging percent- age, on base percentage, total bases and home runs.
- The Sun Devils are 5th in the country in team batting average.
- Yanni Acuña's batting average ranks 7th overall in the country.
- Acuña and Sanders are 2nd and 3rd, respectively, in the Pac-12 in batting average. They are also 1st and 2nd, respectively, in on base percentage in the Pac-12.
- True freshman Cydney Sanders leads the Sun Devils with 15 home runs. She also leads the team with 48 RBIs.
- In the circle, Lindsay Lopez leads the Sun Devils with a 1.38 ERA.
- Yanni Acuña and Cydney Sanders to USA Softball's Top 25 Finalist List for the 2022 College Player of the Year.
- ASU has hit at least one home run in a game 21 times this season.
Game 1: Friday 4/29 6:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | Pac-12 Network
Game 2: Saturday 4/30 6:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | Pac-12 Network
Game 3: Sunday 5/1 12:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | Pac-12 Network
USA Softball/ESPN.com - 9
NFCA/USA Today - 14
Softball America - 11
D1 Softball - 12