Beavers Defeat Utah 9-1 To Even Series
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Jacob Melton went 3-for-5 with three runs driven in to pace the second-ranked Oregon State baseball team to a 9-1 win over Utah Saturday at Smith's Ballpark.
Jacob Kmatz scattered five hits and a run in 5 1/3 innings to help the Beavers to even the series at a game apiece. Kmatz became the second Pac-12 Conference pitcher to eight wins this season, joining teammate Cooper Hjerpe. He's also just one of two in the conference with five victories in Pac-12 play – joining UCLA's Max Rajcic - after striking out five.
Melton pushed his Pac-12 leading RBI total to 51. He drove in OSU's (33-9 overall, 14-6 Pac-12) first run on an infield single in the third. He singled again in both the seventh and eighth innings, driving in a run each time.
Matthew Gretler hit his third home run of the season, a three-run blast in the ninth inning, to cap Oregon State's offense, which finished with 12 hits as a team. Justin Boyd and Greg Fuchs also had two hits for the Beavers, who maintained their lead on first place in the Pac-12.
One of Boyd's two hits was a seventh-inning triple, his second in as many games. That started a two-out rally that saw OSU produce four consecutive hits, scoring three. Melton's single began the inning's scoring and was followed by a double by Garret Forrester and pinch-hit RBI single from Jabin Trosky.
Forrester finished with two RBI; he drove in what amounted to the game-winning run on a sacrifice fly in the third.
OSU chased Utah (25-16-1, 10-10) starter Jaden Harris after five innings. The righty took the loss to drop to 1-2. He allowed three hits and two runs with four walks and five strikeouts.
Oregon State and Utah conclude their three-game series Sunday night at Smith's Ballpark in Salt Lake City. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m. PT (7 p.m. in Utah). The game will air live on the Pac-12 Networks.
Oregon State Notes
- Oregon State's last four runs all came with two outs.
- Justin Boyd extended his hit streak to nine games with a fifth-inning single.
- Jacob Melton finished with his third multiple-steal game of the season. He swiped three bases to give him 17 on the year, two behind Boyd's team-leading 19.
- The three tie Boyd for the most in a single-game. Boyd had three versus Gonzaga earlier in April.
- Wade Meckler walked in the third inning and has reached base safely in all 42 games this season.
- Meckler extended his hit streak to 11 games with a single in the ninth.
- Melton has also reached base safely in all 39 games he has played this season.
- The Beavers are now 9-0 following a loss this season.
- Oregon State is 11-4 when an opponent scores first.
- Utah was just 1-for-9 with runners on base.
- The Beavers set a season-high by turning four double plays.
Follow Us On Social
For more information on the Oregon State baseball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverBaseball, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateBaseball or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverBaseball.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).