Skip to main content

Utah Lacrosse Falls In Overtime In ASUN Championship vs. RMU, 18-17

May 7, 2022

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – In what was a battle until the final second of the game, the University of Utah Lacrosse program fell to Robert Morris today in the ASUN Championship, 18-17 in Utah's second straight overtime game.

With 10 ties and eight lead changes throughout the game, things came down to the wire once more for the Utes as they battled for the tournament championship. The Utes held a two-point lead with 7:28 left in regulation, but Robert Morris would go on a 2-0 run to send the game into overtime.

As time ticked away in the overtime period, Robert Morris was able to gain possession on the face-off, running the shot clock down and calling a timeout. Out of the timeout, the Colonials would convert on a shot for the golden goal with Utah falling by one.

Utah's seven-game winning streak came to an end today, the longest streak in program history and what was the longest active streak in the ASUN, with the Utes putting together the most wins in school history (10) while breaking 28 school records along the way.  

Both MJ McMahon and Tyler Bradbury led the Utes in goals with a hat trick and four assists each with McMahon's four assists being a career-high. Senior Josh Stout also recorded seven points with McMahon and Bradbury, scoring two goals with a career-best five assists.

Jordan Hyde and Cody Hart also added two goals each while Jared Andreala, Samuel Cambere, Carson Moyer, Ruben Santana and Casey Wasserman all contributed goals as well. Utah's 31 points as a team ranks second all-time at Utah while the 14 assists ties the program record that was set against Detroit Mercy in 2019.

Cole Brams finished with a team-high 11 ground balls, giving him a school record 111 on the season. Cambere, Joey Boylston and Josh Rose each had three ground balls each, also each grabbing a caused turnover.

The Utes would come out firing, scoring three goals in the first five minute of the game to take a 3-1 lead on goals from Stout, Hyde and McMahon before Robert Morris stopped the run to make it 3-2 with 6:47 on the clock.

Utah answered with a 3-0 run that included Hyde's second goal of the game to give the Utes a 6-2 advantage. Cambere would score Utah's final goal of the quarter with 2:16 on the clock before Robert Morris found the back of the net with under a minute to go to make it a three-point game at the break.

A 2-0 run by the Colonials to start the second quarter would make it a one-point game with 12:59 on the clock, but a savvy goal by Bradbury with an assist from Stout would extend Utah's lead to two points once again. It was then RMU's time to counter, going on a 3-0 scoring run to take its first lead of the game with 6:34 remaining.

Utah would tie the game 9-9 with 3:38 left to go in the second on a goal from Bradbury with an incredible skip pass from McMahon, followed by Bradbury's third goal of the game to give the Utes the one-point lead heading into halftime.  

The back-and-forth began early in the third quarter as RMU tied things up 10-10 just a minute in before McMahon found the back of the cage on a man-up opportunity to make it 11-10 in Utah's favor. Another 2-0 run by the Colonials would put them up 12-11, but the Utes would counter once again with McMahon and Hart striking in back-to-back goals for a 13-12 lead with 7:05 remaining.

The lead changes continued late in the quarter with Robert Morris tying the game 13-13 before scoring its 14th goal to take the lead into the fourth quarter.

Utah opened the quarter with two unanswered goals from Moyer and Stout to take a 15-14 lead with 10:39 remaining in the game, but the Colonials would even things up at 15-15 just seconds later. It would then be up to Hart and Wasserman to give the Utes a two-point advantage with goals under a minute apart, including Wasserman's first of the season.

With the two-point lead at the 7:28 mark, the Utes would hold Robert Morris scoreless for close to four minutes before RMU made it a one-point game with 3:10 remaining. The Colonials would tie the game for the final time with 55 seconds to go, sending the game into overtime.

Robert Morris would win the faceoff to start overtime, holding the ball by running down the shot clock before calling a timeout with 2:57 on the clock. The Colonials would end up scoring the game winning goal at the 2:16 mark with the Utes falling 18-17.