Pac-12 Baseball Players of The Week - May 9, 2022
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Nate Baez, Arizona State
(So., C/UTL - Oro Valley, Ariz.)
3 GP, .571 AVG, .625 OBP, 1.286 SLG, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 6 R, 8 H, 4 XBH, 2 BB
- Paced the offensive onslaught for Sun Devil Baseball, leading ASU to a series sweep with 38 runs scored on the weekend. Baez went 8-of-14 on the weekend for a .571 average and was second on the team with eight RBI.
- Homered three times and added a double, giving him a 1.286 slugging percentage for the weekend and an overall .625 OBP with his two walks.
- Had at least one RBI in each of the three games. Career-high 5 RBI on Friday, including a three-run shot in the third that broke a 2-2 tie and put ASU up for good.
- RBI single in the eighth inning on Saturday capped a three-run inning that broke a 3-3 tie and earned the series victory for ASU.
- Seven of Baez's eight RBIs on the weekend came with two outs and he was a perfect 5-for-5 hitting with two outs over the three games.
- Third different Sun Devil to win this award in 2022, most of any team this season. First time ASU has had three different winners in the same season since 2013.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Alex Williams, Stanford
(Sr., RHP - Castro Valley, Calif.)
1 GP, 1-0, 8.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K
- Earned the victory on Friday night to open a series sweep against California.
- Threw 123 pitches and faced one over the minimum from the second through the eighth inning, allowing a two-out single in the third and getting a double play ball to erase a leadoff single in the sixth.
- Owns a 6-1 record with a 1.95 ERA over 12 starts this year, including a minuscule 0.42 mark over his last six starts. 3-0 with a 1.64 ERA over eight starts in Pac-12 play.
- Second time time Williams has won this award this season (April 11). Stanford pitchers have earned this honor five times in the 12 weeks this season. The last school to win this award 5+ times in a season as UCLA with six in 2019.
Player of the Week: Jacob Melton, OSU; Nick Lopez, USC; Tony Bullard, ARIZ; Keshawn Ogans, CAL; Kody Huff, STAN; Jack Smith, WSU; Michael Snyder, WASH
Pitcher of the Week: Jaden Agassi, USC; McKabe Cottrell, WSU; Garrett Irvin, ARIZ; Kyle Luckham, ASU; Cooper Hjerpe, OSU; Jared Engman, WASH