Four Added To 2023 Gym Devils Roster
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Gymnastics has added four more talented gymnasts to the 2023 roster, bringing local, national and international experience to the squad.
"We are extremely excited to finalize and announce our 2022 class," Co-head coaches Jay and Jess Santos said. "We have a very well-rounded and talented group of gymnasts joining the program next year. Each of them have different strengths and styles but they complement each other really well and we feel they will contribute right away and continue to propel the program forward. We can't wait for everyone to get here and start working on next season!"
Joining Kimmy Smith, who was announced in the fall, these five freshmen are ready to make an impact in 2023.
McClaine Daigle | World Champions Centre | Katy, Texas
The Texas native comes to Tempe with success in all events as she placed first in the all-around at the Texas State Championship at Level 9 and 10 competition this year. Also at the state championship, she placed in the top five in all of her events en route to the all-around title.
- 2022 Level 9/10 State Championship - 1st in all-around (38.325)
- T-2nd on vault (9.725) and floor (9.750), 4th on beam (9.325) and 5th on bars (9.525)
- 2021 Level 9/10 State Championship - T-3rd on floor (9.500), 4th on vault (9.550) and all-around (36.975)
- 2021 Regional 3 Levels 9-10 Championships - T-6th on floor (9.500), 8th on beam (9.250) and all-around (37.775)
- 2019 Level 9/10 State Championship - 4th on beam (9.025)
- 2019 Regional 3 Levels 9/10 Championships - 12th on vault (9.400)
- 2018 Level 9/10 State Championship - T-5th on vault (9.100)
Bella Kowan | Shenderey Gymnastics Institute | Pickering, Ontario
The Gym Devils add a second Canadian to the roster, joining All-American Hannah Scharf. With great experience in Canada, she joins ASU for the strong gymnastics and academics on campus.
- Eastern Canadian All-Around Champion
- 2x Ontario All-Around Champion
- Honor Roll Grade 9-12
- Her father Brett Kowan played
- Her full name is Isabella
Kayla Lee | Arizona Sunrays | Scottsdale, Ariz.
The local signee of the group comes to ASU after winning a recent event title in the 2022 Arizona State Championship on floor where she also placed second on beam, bars and all-around as a competitor for the Arizona Sunrays. She also saw success in the state meet three years ago as she won the event title on beam.
- 2022 Arizona Level 6-10 State Championships - 1st on floor (9.750)
- 2nd on beam (9.575), bars (9.625) and all-around (38.125)
- 2021 Arizona Level 6-10 State Championships - 2nd on beam (9.575)
- T-3rd on bars (9.000), 3rd on all-around (36.900)
- 2021 Region 1 - 5th on beam (9.450)
- 2019 Arizona Level 6-10 State Championships - 1st on beam (9.525)
- T-2nd on bars (9.350) and 2nd in all-around (36.700)
Caroline Lichtman | West Coast Elite Gymnastics | San Marino, Calif.
One of four signees of the spring will bring a lot of experience for the Gym Devils for the 2022-23 season as she competed for the West Coast Elite Gymnastics club. As a strong competitor on beam, she has placed below 10th just once in Level 10 competition since February 2020 and she placed fourth at the California State Meet this year.
- 2022 Level 6-10 State Meet - 4th on beam (9.375)
- 2021 Level 3-10 and Xcel SoCal State - placed in top five in all events
- 2nd on vault (9.525), T-4th on bars (9.275), T-3rd on beam (9.350), T-4th on floor (9.325) and 3rd in all-around (37.475)
- 2021 Women's Level 10 National Championships - T-13th (9.500) on bars