Baseball Travels To Arizona For Three
Oregon State (39-9, 18-6) vs. Arizona (33-17, 14-10)
May 13, 2022 • 7:05 p.m. PT • Tucson, Ariz. • Hi Corbett Field
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (9-1, 2.08) vs. RHP TJ Nichols (5-3, 4.54)
Oregon State opens a three-game series with Arizona Friday night at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will be broadcast live on the Pac-12 Network with Daron Sutton and Andy Lopez on the call.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Network can find the game online at pac-12.com or via the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Jaren Hunter tossed 6 2/3 scoreless innings in a career-long outing to pace Oregon State to a 4-0 win over Portland Tuesday night at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. Jacob Melton drove in three of the Beavers' four runs, while Travis Bazzana drove home one with a double in the seventh. Hunter earned his second win of the year after limiting Portland to just three hits while striking out eight.
Oregon State Notes
• Oregon State's probable starter Friday, Cooper Hjerpe, has 120 strikeouts this season, which ranks second nationally. It's also good for seventh in a single-season at OSU. He's only one behind No. 6 Ken Forsch (1968) and nine behind No. 3 Mike Stutes (2007).
• Hjerpe also has 234 strikeouts for his career, which is 15 shy of OSU's No. 10 Scott Christman, who pitched from 1991-93.
• Hjerpe has struck out 47 to just seven walks in 34 1/3 innings away from home this season.
• Oregon State heads into the series in first place in the Pac-12, three games ahead of second-place Stanford.
• Thanks to back-to-back shutouts, the Beavers have lowered their team ERA to 3.45, which is now the best in the Pac-12. UCLA is No. 2 at 3.51.
• OSU's ERA in conference games is 2.85, also the lowest in the league. Stanford and UCLA are both second at 4.21.
• Justin Boyd extended his Pac-12 lead in stolen bases to 22 with two versus Portland. He's now ninth in the Oregon State single-season record books.
• Speaking of the record books, Jacob Melton moved into a tie for fifth with Dylan Davis (2014) for most RBI in a season. Melton has 64 after posting three on Tuesday.
• Garret Forrester walked three times Tuesday and has 47 on the year, which ranks tied for seventh in a single-season.
• The Beavers have gone errorless in 34 of their 48 games this season. Only twice have they committed errors in back-to-back games.
• The team's .989 fielding percentage leads the nation.
• The Beavers are looking for their first series win in Tucson since 2014. The teams did not play in 2020 due to Covid-19. Arizona took 2-of-3 in 2018 and swept in 2016.
• Melton is 9 for his last 13 and has 10 RBI in a three-game hit streak.
• OSU is 27-5 when scoring first this season.