Senior Weekend Brings No. 8 Stanford to Smith's Ballpark
|2022 Utah Baseball Game Notes|
Date // Time (MT)
|Utah (25-21-1 overall, 10-14 Pac-12) vs. No. 8 Stanford (30-14 overall, 15-9 Pac-12)
Friday, May 13 // 6 p.m.
Saturday, May 14 // 2 p.m.
Sunday, May 15 // 1 p.m.
|Location||Salt Lake City, Utah (Smith's Ballpark)|
|Tickets||Buy Tickets // Or call (801) 581-UTIX (8849)
Admission for students is always FREE with a valid UCard
Friday // Saturday // Sunday
|Streaming||Friday: Pac-12 Insider, Pac-12 Now app
Saturday/Sunday: Utah Live Stream, Pac-12 Now app
|Radio||ESPN 700 // Listen Live|
|Game Notes||Utah // Stanford // Pac-12 Weekly Release|
|@UtahBaseball Social Media||Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // #GoUtes // #UteNotes|
The First Pitch: Things to Know
Senior weekend is officially here for the Utah baseball team, and it coincides with a pivotal three-game Pac-12 series against No. 8 nationally-ranked Stanford. The series begins on Friday with a 6 p.m. MT contest at Smith's Ballpark, continuing with the middle game on Saturday (2 p.m. MT) and wraps on Sunday in a 1 p.m. ballgame.
• It'll mark the final home games of the regular season for the Utes, with a Senior Day recognition set for approximately 12:45 p.m. on Sunday. Six Utes and their families will be recognized, including third baseman Chase Anderson, first baseman Alex Baeza, shortstop Matt Richardson, and right-handed pitchers Dusty Schramm, Matthew Sox and David Watson.
• In addition, the first 500 fans through the gates for Saturday's game will receive a G2G Protein Bar, compliments of Utah baseball alumnus and 2021 Utah Athletics Hall of Fame inductee Casey Child. Child will be in attendance at Saturday's game and throw out the first pitch. The First Team All-American set nearly every Utah single-season hitting record as a junior in 1997 and was drafted by the Anaheim Angels that summer.
• The Utes have battled right to the wire at home against ranked teams this season. Despite a 4-5 record when top-20 opponents have been in town, four of the five losses have been decided by less than three runs, and in each of those games Utah had the tying run, winning run or both on base in the ninth inning.
• Utah took the middle game over the Cardinal last March out in California, an 8-4 triumph for the Utes. The ballclub is looking for its first series win over Stanford since 2016, when the Utes took two of three at Smith's Ballpark.
• With two conference weekends remaining in the regular season, the Utes currently sit seventh in the Pac-12 standings. The top eight teams will clinch a spot in the inaugural Pac-12 Baseball Tournament which will be held in Scottsdale, Arizona from May 25-29.
Recap in a Minute
The Utes are looking to shake off what's been a bit of a rough patch lately and end a six-game losing streak. Most recently, the club was in St. George, Utah on Wednesday for a game at Dixie State but fell by a 9-4 score at Bruce Hurst Field.
• Center fielder Dakota Duffalo singled at Dixie State, extending his hitting streak to a career-long six games. Working primarily out of the nine-hole in the lineup, Duffalo is hitting .368 during the six-game run with one double, one triple, three RBI and four runs scored.
• Catcher Davis Cop contributed his second home run of the year at Dixie State and left fielder TJ Clarkson had two RBI on the day. Clarkson now owns 36 RBI this season, one short of tying Jayden Kiernan (37) for the team lead.
• Kiernan singled and scored a run in the game against the Trailblazers, remaining atop the Utes in batting average (.342) and ranking ninth in the Pac-12.
• It was a staff day on the mound for Utah, with six Utes seeing action on the mound. Zac McCleve finished the contest for the Utes, striking out the side in order, all looking, in the eighth inning.