USC Baseball Hosts Washington, Heads to No. 19 UCSB
THIS WEEK: The USC baseball team hosts Washington for a three-game Pac-12 series starting on Friday and then heads to No. 19 UC Santa Barbara on Tuesday.
Friday - USC vs. Washington (Dedeaux Field), May 13, 7 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
Saturday - USC vs. Washington (Dedeaux Field), May 14, 1 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
Sunday - USC vs. Washington (Dedeaux Field), May 15, 12 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
Tuesday - USC at UC Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA), May 17, 6 p.m. (ESPN+)
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS:
Friday - USC: RHP Jaden Agassi (3-1, 4.02 ERA) vs. WASH: RHP Jared Engman (3-5, 4.55 ERA)
Saturday - USC: RHP Tyler Stromsborg (1-5, 4.18 ERA) vs. WASH: RHP Calvin Kirchoff (2-3, 4.74 ERA)
Sunday - USC: RHP Charlie Hurley (6-1, 3.08 ERA) vs. WASH: TBA
BROADCAST INFO: All three home games this week will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network. Tuesday's game will be broadcast live on ESPN+. Links to all of the broadcasts are available on the baseball schedule page at USCTrojans.com.
FOLLOW: Fans can also follow the action through live stats on USCTrojans.com. Live, in-game updates will be available for all games from @USC_Baseball on Twitter as well.
GET SOCIAL: Follow USC Baseball on social media to get updates on everything going on with the team this season. The Trojans can be found at @USC_Baseball on Twitter, @sctrojans_baseball on Instagram and USC Trojans Baseball on Facebook.
LAST WEEK: The Trojans took two-of-three from third-place Arizona at home last weekend. Jaden Agassi got the win in the opener and Charlie Hurley picked up a victory on the mound in the finale. Nick Lopez was 5-for-9 in the series with 6 RBI and 3 runs scored, hitting 2 homers and a double. USC fell at Long Beach State on Tuesday.
SENIOR DAY: The Trojans will honor their graduating seniors prior to Sunday's game. The players set to be honored are: Trevor Halsema, Carson Lambert, Tyler Lozano, Ethan Reed, Miko Rodriguez, Emilio Rosas, Toby Spach and Jason Starrels.
PAC-12 TOURNAMENT HOPES: Despite sitting at the bottom of the conference standings, the Trojans are still in the hunt for the Pac-12 Tournament (top 8 teams). USC (8-16) is 1.5 games back of Cal (11-16) and Washington (11-16) for 8th place, but is tied in the loss column having played three less conference games. Washington State is just in front of the Trojans in the standings at 9-15.
TOURNAMENT DETAILS: The inaugural Pac-12 Baseball Tournament is scheduled for May 25-29 at Scottsdale Stadium (Arizona). The double-elimination tournament will be spread over five days at the Spring Training home of the San Francisco Giants. The top eight teams in the standings will compete for the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
SERIES VS. UW: USC leads the all-time series, 43-40. The Trojans swept the Huskies on the road last season, and Washington swept the series in 2019.
SERIES VS. UCSB: The Trojans lead the all-time series 89-49-1. The teams played at Dedeaux Field on 4/26, with USC picking up a 13-7 win.
- The Trojans' .974 fielding percentage is 4th in the Pac-12.
- USC's 57 home runs are 4th in the Pac-12 and the Trojans' 1.27 HR/game are 3rd.
- The Trojans are 3rd in the Pac-12 with 22 sacrifice flies.
- Trojan pitchers have allowed 3.56 walks/9, the 3rd best mark in the Pac-12 and 44th in the NCAA.
- The Trojans have 5 players who have recorded a save this season; Matt Keating (7), Kyle Wisch (2), Garrett Clarke, Carson Lambert, Nate Clow.
- Rhylan Thomas had his hitting streak snapped at 15 games this past weekend, but still leads the team and is 6th in the Pac-12 with a .358 batting average. Thomas is also the 2nd toughest player in the Pac-12 to strike out, fanning just once every 11.6 at-bats. Thomas leads USC with 22 multi-hit games (including a 5-hit game against CSUN) and his 1.44 hits/game are 6th in the Pac-12. He has reached base safely in his last 17 games.
- Tyresse Turner has the second best batting average on the team and 7th best in the conference at .351. His 14 stolen bases are 5th in the Pac-12. Turner has hit safely in his last 9 games. His 14 doubles are 11th in the league.
- Charlie Hurley's 3.08 ERA is 6th best in the Pac-12 and his 6 wins are 4th in the conference. Hurley has allowed 7.55 hits/9, the 6th fewest in the league. He had a career-high 7 K's against Washington State. He has only tossed less than 5.0 innings in a start twice this season.
- Tyler Lozano leads the team with 11 HR this year, 6th most in the Pac-12. Lozano tied a USC record with 3 home runs in the opener against ASU, becoming the first player since Ricky Oropesa in 2010 to accomplish that feat.
- Tyler Stromsborg's 12 starts are a team-high and 2nd most in the Pac-12. He has tossed at least 5 innings in all but 4 of his starts so far this season.
- Carson Lambert's 1.09 WHIP is 5th best in the conferecne and his 1.96 walks/9 are 6th in the Pac-12. He leads the team with 23 relief appearances this season and his 5.30 strikeout-to-walk ratio is 4th in the league. Lambert's 3.33 ERA is 7th in the Pac-12 among qualifying pitchers.
- Matt Keating leads USC and is 3rd in the Pac-12 with 7 saves this year. He's second on the team with 21 relief appearances.