Baseball Gameday: Vs. California (5/26/22)
Oregon State (42-13) vs. California (29-25)
May 26, 2022 • 8:00 p.m. PT • Scottsdale, Ariz. • Scottsdale Stadium
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (9-2, 2.36) vs. RHP Steven Zobac (4-3, 3.95)
Oregon State takes on California Thursday night at Scottsdale Stadium. First pitch starts 45 minutes after the third game of the day featuring Stanford and Arizona. The game's start is expected to be in the 8-9 p.m. hour.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will be broadcast live on the Pac-12 Network with Roxy Bernstein and Kevin Stocker on the call.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Network can find the game online at pac-12.com or via the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Garret Forrester and Gavin Logan each homered to send Oregon State to a 13-8 win over Washington Wednesday night at Scottsdale Stadium. Both also doubled, with Forrester driving in four and Logan three on the night. The Beavers scored 11 runs in their last five turns at bat, including five in the fourth after Washington had scored five in the top half of the inning.
• The Beavers took 2-of-3 from California in Berkeley in March. OSU scored 30 runs over the three games, tallying five doubles and five home runs. The Beavers picked up 40 hits over the three games.
Oregon State Notes
• Jacob Melton became the sixth Beaver in the Pac-10/12 era to be named the conference's Player of the Year. Jacoby Ellsbury (2005), Cole Gillespie (2006), Michael Conforto (2013 and 2014), Nick Madrigal (2017) and Adley Rutschman (2019) are the others.
• The previous five have all played at the Major League level.
• Both Melton and Cooper Hjerpe were also selected as semifinalists for the Golden Spikes Award. There are 31 in total.
• Garret Forrester has hit home runs in back-to-back games. He's driven in seven in OSU wins over UCLA and Washington.
• Forrester has four consecutive two-hit efforts.
• Thursday's probable starter, Hjerpe, has struck out 16 and issued just one walk in 11 career innings versus Cal. He is 1-0 lifetime against the Golden Bears, posting a 3.27 ERA.
• OSU has now drawn 330 walks this season. That is seven shy of the school's 337 in 1998, the single-year record.
• The Beavers are 11-0 in neutral-site games this season. Offensively, OSU is batting .369 and is averaging 11.3 runs per game. Oregon State has drawn 76 walks while striking out 76 times.
• Justin Boyd is 7-for-12 in his last three games, drawing three walks (.667 on-base percentage). He pushed his Pac-12 leading stolen-base tally to 23 on Wednesday.
• Oregon State and California are playing their first neutral-site game since the 1993 season. They're tied 2-2 all-time in neutral games.