Bears And Beavers In Round Two
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – California takes a season-best seven-game win streak into Thursday night's matchup with No. 2 Oregon State in the winners' bracket of the inaugural Pac-12 Baseball Tournament. First pitch will be 45 minutes following the conclusion of the third game of the day between Stanford and Arizona.
The sixth-seeded Golden Bears (29-25) defeated No. 20 UCLA, 4-1, in a game that stretched from Wednesday night into the early hours of Thursday morning at Scottsdale Stadium. Josh White struck out eight Bruins over seven scoreless innings while Dylan Beavers and Rodney Green Jr. homered in the victory.
WHAT TO KNOW
- Matchup: Cal (29-25) vs. No. 2 Oregon State (42-13)
- Location: Scottsdale Stadium | Scottsdale, Ariz.
- First Pitch: TBD, approx. 45 minutes following the conclusion of game 3
- Watch: Pac-12 Network (PxP: Roxy Bernstein | Analyst: Kevin Stocker)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Probable Pitchers: RHP Steven Zobac vs. LHP Cooper Hjerpe
- Cal improved to 17-7 when it hits at least two home runs as both Dylan Beavers and Rodney Green Jr. homered in Wednesday's win vs. UCLA. Beavers' was an inside-the-park home run and his 17th of the season.
- The Bears have outscored their opponents 86-17 during their current seven-game win streak. In that span, Cal is batting .378 (99-for-262) while totaling 76 strikeouts to just 18 walks allowed in 63 innings pitched.
- Cal went 1-2 against Oregon State in their regular-season series in Berkeley on March 25-27 and is just 2-10 against the Beavers since 2018. Dom Souto hit a walk-off home run in Cal's lone win of the series on March 26 while Dylan Beavers homered once in each game.
- Steven Zobac, who will make his 10th start of the season on the mound Thursday night, is fifth in strikeouts per nine innings (11.05) and sixth in batting average against (.228) among Pac-12 pitchers. Zobac has struck out 23 and walked just three over 13 shutout innings in his past two starts against New Mexico and Utah.
- Nathan Martorella is batting .408 (31-for-76) with seven home runs, 21 RBIs and 20 runs scored during his 19-game hitting streak, which is tied with Mark Canha for the longest such streak by a Bear since 2009. The next longest is a 22-game streak by Josh Satin in 2008.
- Rodney Green Jr. has hit everything in sight during Cal's seven-game win streak, batting .448 (13-for-29) with 13 runs, 11 RBIs and eight extra-base hits (three home runs).
- Dylan Beavers and Keshawn Ogans have reached base safely in 49 and 46 of Cal's 54 games played this season. Ogans was 3-for-3 with a sacrifice fly while Beavers went 2-for-4 in Wednesday's win vs. UCLA. Beavers also scored twice, moving him into a tie with Chris Clapinski for the eighth-most runs scored by a Bear in a single season (62).
- Cal is 5-3 in eight games played in Arizona this season, including a 4-1 mark in neutral-site contests. The Bears swept the field (Houston, TCU, San Diego State) at the season-opening MLB4 Tournament at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale on Feb. 18-20.