Baseball Set For Super Regional Opener Saturday
Oregon State (47-16) vs. Auburn (40-19)
June 11, 2022 • 7:00 p.m. PT • Corvallis, Ore. • Goss Stadium at Coleman Field
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (10-2, 2.40) vs. RHP Trace Bright (4-4, 4.80)
Oregon State opens the 2022 Corvallis Super Regional Saturday night at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. First pitch is slated for 7:06 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will be broadcast live on ESPN2 with Roxy Bernstein and Todd Walker on the call.
Subscribers to the ESPN family of networks can find the game online at espn.com or via the ESPN app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Matthew Gretler hit the last of three Oregon State home runs in the seventh inning to send the Beavers to a 7-6 win over Vanderbilt Monday afternoon at Goss Stadium. Justin Boyd and Jacob Melton also homered for the Beavers, while Kyle Dernedde went 3-for-4 with three RBI. Cooper Hjerpe came on in relief for the first time this season and recorded his third career save.
Oregon State Notes
• Oregon State and Auburn are meeting for the first time.
• The Beavers are 7-1 against current members of the SEC in postseason games at Goss Stadium. The Beavers also hosted an SEC program, Vanderbilt, in the 2018 Corvallis Super Regional.
• OSU is 12-4 all-time in NCAA Super Regional games. All 16 games have been under retired head coach Pat Casey.
• Left-handed pitcher Cooper Hjerpe is a finalist for both the Golden Spikes Award and Dick Howser Trophy.
• Hjerpe is at 155 strikeouts this season and needs just five more to set the Oregon State single-game record.
• RHP Ryan Brown, RHP Jacob Kmatz and 2B Travis Bazzana were named Freshman All-Americans by Collegiate Baseball Wednesday.
• Justin Boyd comes into the Super Regional on a 10-game hit streak, where he is 22-for-47 (.468) with five doubles, two home runs, seven walks and eight RBI. His longest streak of the season is 13 games.
• Jacob Melton has tied the Oregon State single-season record for total bases at 167, equaling Trevor Larnach in 2018. Melton needs three RBI to surpass Adley Rutschman's record of 83 in 2018.
• Wade Meckler needs four more runs to set the program record, currently held by Cole Gillespie with 83 in 2006.
• Nine of Garret Forrester's 23 multi-hit efforts have come since May 19, a 12-game stretch. He is 22-for-50 (.440) in those 12 games, raising his average to .342 from .320.
• Oregon State is 23-7 in night games this season, including a 12-5 mark at home.
• The Beavers have scored first in 42 of their 63 games played this season, and are 34-8 when that happens. OSU has outscored opponents, 72-28, in the first inning.
• OSU's pitching staff has struck out 606, and is six shy of breaking the program's single-season record of 611 set in 2021.
• The Beavers, having now played two more games than in 2021, have issued 179 walks, 63 fewer than last season.
• Conversely, OSU's offense has drawn a school-record 376 walks, 94 more than last season.