USC's Michael Norman, Kendall Ellis Earns Spots On Team USA At USATF Championships
Michael Norman won the USA men's 400m title and Kendall Ellis placed second in the women's 400m final to both make Team USA for the World Championships highlighting USC's efforts during the third day of the 2022 USATF Outdoor Championships held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. today (June 25). Also, Rai Benjamin advanced to the men's 400m hurdles final and Angie Annelus advanced to the final day in the women's 200m competition.
Three Trojans competed in event finals today at the 2022 USATF U20 Outdoor Championships which are also being held at Hayward Field.
At the USATF Outdoor Championships:
- Michael Norman won his second consecutive USA 400m title by running a world-leading time of 43.56 in the final to make USA's team for the World Championships. Norman's time also set the Hayward Field record in the 400m.
- Kendall Ellis (USC, 2018) placed second in the women's 400m dash final with a time of 50.35 to qualify to represent USA at the World Championships in July. Allyson Felix (USC, 2008), running in her final USATF Championships, placed sixth with a time of 51.24. Jaide Stepter (USC, 2016) finished seventh with a time of 51.30.
- Nia Ali won her 100m hurdles semifinal heat with a time of 12.49 (+0.8) and advanced to the final with the second-fastest time. By virtue of being the reigning world champion in the event, Ali has a bye to the World Championships so elected to pass on running in the final, which allowed USA to get four qualified for the World Championships. Jasmine Jones had a time of 12.81 (+0.8) to place fifth in her semifinal heat and finished 10th overall.
- Anna Cockrell (USC, 2021) placed fourth in the women's 400m hurdles final with a time of 53.98, 0.06 seconds behind the third-place finisher who earned the final USA team position. Dalilah Muhammad (USC, 2012) is the reigning World Champion in the event and received a waiver due to injury to get a bye to the World Championships.
- Rai Benjamin (USC, 2019), 2020 Olympic silver medalist in the 400m hurdles, won his men's 400m hurdles semifinal and had the fastest time of the day of 47.93 to advance to the event final tomorrow.
- Angie Annelus (USC, 2021) took fourth in her women's 200m preliminary heat with a time of 23.01 (+0.5) and qualified in 15th place to the semifinal tomorrow.
- Trey Knight placed 15th in the men's hammer throw with a best mark of 229-7 (69.99m).
- Kasaun James had a time of 22.41 to finish 28th in the men's 200m first round.
At the USATF U20 Outdoor Championships:
- Maci Simmons placed seventh in the women's 400m hurdles final with a time of 61.43.
- Incoming freshman Darius Rainey placed fourth in the men's 400m final with a personal best of 45.92. He was the only one of the top six finishers which had not already competed for at least a season collegiately.
- Incoming freshman Max Thomas placed eighth in the men's 200m dash final. Thomas reached the final by running 21.50 (+1.5) to take second in his prelims heat and automatically advanced to the final.
The 2022 World Athletics Outdoor Championships will also be held in Eugene, Ore. from July 15-24. The top three in each individual event qualify if they meet the qualifying standards. The 2022 World Athletics U20 Championships will be held in Cali, Colombia from Aug. 1-6. The top two at the USATF U20s will qualify to represent USA if they meet the qualifying standards.
# # # # #