USC Track & Field's Rai Benjamin Advances To Men's 400m H Final At World Athletics Championships
Rai Benjamin advanced to the men's 400m hurdles final, Nick Ponzio placed ninth in the men's shot put and Michael Norman and Nicole Yeargin advanced to 400m semifinals to lead the Trojan efforts during the third day of the 2022 World Athletics Championships held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. today (July 17).
- Rai Benjamin (USC, 2018) won his men's 400m hurdles semifinal heat with a time of 48.44 to automatically advance to the event final on July 19. All three 2020 Olympic medalists, including Benjamin who claimed silver, have advanced to the final.
- Nick Ponzio (USC, 2018) placed ninth in the men's shot put with a best mark of 68-3.75 (20.81m).
- Michael Norman (USC, 2019) won his men's 400m heat with a time of 45.37 to automatically advance to the event semifinal on July 20. His time was fourth among the advancing runners.
- Nicole Yeargin (USC, 2021) had a season-best time of 51.17 to finish fourth in the second women's 400m heat and advanced on time to the semifinal on July 20. She had the 10th-fastest time among the qualifiers. Kendall Ellis (USC, 2018) had a time of 52.55 to place sixth in the first women's 400m heat and finished 30th overall.
- TeeTee Terry (USC, 2021) placed third in her women's 100m dash semifinal with a time of 11.05 (-0.2) and finished 11th overall. Tynia Gaither (USC, 2016) was called for a false start in the third semifinal heat.
Trojans scheduled to be in action tomorrow include: Aaron Brown (M-200m heats), Andre De Grasse (M-200m heats), Tynia Gaither (W-200m).
# # # # #