Softball Adds Ball State Transfer, Two Announce Their Return
TEMPE, Ariz. – Under the helm of newly hired head coach Megan Bartlett, the Sun Devil Softball team has begun its roster adjustments for the 2023 season. Right-handed local star, Marissa Schuld has also announced she will return to the circle for the Maroon and Gold.
This past season, Schuld made 27 appearances and started 10 games for the squad, which included a perfect game against her former team, Arizona, on March 27th, the first time in program history since 2017.
"We are thrilled to welcome Marissa back to the program as she bleeds Maroon and Gold," said Bartlett. "Marissa is a fierce competitor and knows what it takes to win on a big stage. Her veteran experience will be a huge asset to us on the mound in the coming years."
Joining Schuld and freshman Kylee MaGee on the Arizona State pitching staff this year is junior transfer Deborah Jones. The six-foot, Indiana native spent three seasons at Ball State alongside assistant coach Jeremy Manley before he turned Maroon and Gold as well.
In 2022, the right-hander made 25 appearances in which she had six wins and eight complete games for the Cardinals. She ranked third in Mid-American Conference play for ERA with 2.21. The two-time Second Team All-MAC honoree has thrown 229 career strikeouts.
"Debs has the unique ability to throw multiple speeds and planes in a highly deceptive manner. She is talented and competitive, but is also a caring teammate," stated Bartlett. "She makes us better on and off the field because of that. When presented with the opportunity to follow Coach Manley and I across the country, she didn't hesitate. That's one of the greatest compliments a coach can receive."
Senior outfielder Jordyn VanHook has also announced that she would be returning to the squad too. Last season, VanHook had 20 game appearances as a pinch hitter, pinch runner and first baseman.
"We're happy to welcome Jordyn back to the program. She's a versatile athlete and will give us depth in both the infield and the outfield. I'm glad she chose to finish her career as a Sun Devil!"
- Complied 229 career strikeouts in 69 appearances with Ball State
- 14 complete games
- Career record of 25-17
- Threw career high 12 strikeouts this past season against Northern Kentucky
- 2022 featured 3 shutout games
- Career batting average against, .239
- Allowed the least number of hits, runs, and earned runs among pitchers who pitched at least 87 innings
- IP, 87.0 third most on team in 2022
- 2022 Record, 10-2
- Started 10 games in 2022 with 27 total appearances
- Batting average against was .215, the best on the team in 2022
- Most strikeouts (93) & fewest walks (8)
- Season high 10 Strikeouts vs. Marist on 3/15/2022
- Three saves on the season
- Lowest ERA on team with 2.09
- Four complete games
- 2 hits and 3 RBI in 2022
- Career total of 18 RBI
- Started nine games for the Sun Devils as a sophomore
- 5 career home runs
- 1.154 SLG% as a freshman (2020, shortened to 14 games due to COVID-19)
- .462 BA (2020)
Sun Devil Softball will continue to add to the roster. To keep track of who to currently look out for in the 2023 season, check out the list below.
Sun Devils from 2022 Season
Halle Harger (Gr)
Jazmyn Rollin (Sr)
Marissa Schuld (Jr)
Liliana Thomas (So)
Savannah Price (Jr)
Jordyn VanHook (Sr)
Yannira Acuña (Gr)
Emily Cazares (Jr)
Makenna Harper (Gr)
Jazmine Hill (Sr)
Incoming Sun Devils as of July 19th
Kayln McCarthy, OF (Fr)
Kylee MaGee, RHP (Fr)
Deborah Jones, RHP (Transfer from Ball State)