Cal Starts Preseason On The Road
BERKELEY – The California men's soccer team opens the 2022 preseason with road games at UC Riverside on Friday at 7:30 p.m. and at Cal State Bakersfield on Sunday at 7:30 p.m.
Fans can follow live scores for Sunday's game here, though there are no live scores for Friday's game. Follow Twitter updates for the Bears at @CalMSoc.
Cal posted a 3-9-3 record last season, including a 1-6-1 mark in the Pac-12 Conference. UC Riverside was 9-7-3 (3-4-2 in the Big West) and Cal State Bakersfield was 6-10-1 (5-4-0 in the Big West) in the fall of 2021.
First-year Cal head coach Leonard Griffin will make his home debut on Goldman Field at Edwards Stadium on Aug. 19, when Cal hosts Pacific at 1 p.m. to end the exhibition season.
About the Bears
- Many of the starters from Cal's fall 2021 campaign return for 2022.
- Junior midfielder Evan Davila (2 goals, 4 assists) led the Bears in points (8) and assists last season.
- Also back are senior Jack Singer, junior midfielder Wyatt Meyer and forward Shoei Honda, a sophomore, who tied for last year's team high in goals with three each.
- Returning defenders include redshirt junior Tate Dolan, fifth-year senior Christian Gomez and sophomore Santiago Hopkins.
- The versatile Singer could play on the backline, in midfield or up front.
- Jonathan Estrada, a fifth-year senior, is another option for the frontline.
- Collin Travasos, a redshirt junior, is the most experienced goalkeeper for the Bears, starting 14 of 20 games.
- Both Davila and Meyer have family connections to Cal. Taylor Davila, Evan's brother, patrolled the Bears' midfield from 2018-19, and now plays professionally for the Los Angeles Galaxy II. Jennifer Thomas, Meyer's mother, played for the Cal women's soccer team from 1982-85, and was an assistant coach for the Cal women's team for 11 seasons.