Soccer Opens 2022 Season Thursday Against NMSU
The opening weekend of the 2022 season kicks off Thursday with the Ducks hosting New Mexico State at 5 p.m. at Papé Field, and continues Sunday at 2 p.m. versus San Francisco. Both matches will be broadcast on Pac-12 Network.
WHAT TO WATCH
• This will be the first meeting between Oregon and New Mexico State. The Ducks and Dons played to a 2-2 draw last season in San Francisco.
• Oregon welcomes the No. 25 recruiting class (Top Drawer Soccer) to campus for the 2022 season. Among the 10 incoming freshmen are four-star recruits Kristen Conti, Trinity Morales and Ajanae Respass, who join USC transfer Bel Rolley.
• In 2021, Oregon posted consecutive winning seasons for the first time in 40 years; 1980 (13-1-3) and 1981 (13-2-3).
• The Ducks' 9-4-6 record was their best since 2006 (12-6-2). It was the fourth-best mark in program history (.632).
• The Ducks were an impressive 4-1-4 on the road in 2021 (2-1-2 in league play).
• Oregon returns seven starters from last season's squad, including all-conference picks on the back line GK Leah Freeman (1st team), D Croix Soto (2nd team) and D Chai Cortez (3rd team).
• Oregon tallied 86 points in 2021, which was tied for the second-highest season total in program history. The Ducks' 29 goals and 28 assists both were tied for fourth all-time.
• Graeme Abel, the Ducks' fourth head coach in the modern era (1996-present), has a pair of World Cup championships after serving as an assistant coach for the U.S. National Team in 2015 and 2019.