No. 24 USC Women's Volleyball Brushes Away Colgate For 3-0 Season-Opening Sweep
LOS ANGELES – The 24th-ranked USC women's volleyball team (1-0) opened the 2022 campaign with a 3-0 sweep of Colgate (25-13, 25-20, 25-12) in the Cardinal & Gold Classic at Galen Center on Friday, Aug. 26.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led all players with 15.0 points on 13 kills (3e, 26att) and hit .385 to go with an ace and two blocks.
- Fr. OH Dani Thomas-Nathan collected nine kills (5e, 20att, .200) and scored three service aces.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske put up eight kills (1e, 12att) and hit .583 with nine digs, three aces, and two blocks.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga set the Trojans to a .554 hitting percentage and dished out 36 assists with a career-high five service aces and five digs.
- Jr. MB Lindsey Miller had six kills on eight attacks without an error with two blocks.
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams had five kills on seven swings with no errors and added two blocks.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint led all players with 12 digs and served one ace.
- For Colgate, Libby Overmyer led with five kills. Julia Kurowski led the Raiders with seven digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Women of Troy hit .357 in the first set and held the Raiders to a negative .045 outing. USC then put up a big .481 in the second set and topped it with a .538 in the third frame while holding Colgate to .000 to seal the win.
- After a slow start in the first set, the Trojans used a 17-5 run to mint a 25-13 first-set win. USC scored 10 of the last 11 points in the frame and got five kills from Fields and posted five service aces as a team.
- The score was tied eight times in the second set, but USC broke a 13-all tie and held off any Raider comebacks to finish off a 25-20 win. Weske led all players with five kills and two aces in the second while Fields, Williams, Miller, and Thomas-Nathan had three kills apiece.
- Fields and Thomas-Nathan each scored five kills in the third set and helped the Trojans pull away with a 17-8 run to end the match on a 25-12 win. Tuaniga served three of her aces in the final frame before freshman MB Rylie McGinest came in to score the final two kills of the match.
- The Trojans are back in action against UMBC (1-0) at 10:30 a.m. PT tomorrow at Galen Center. The Retrievers and Colgate will play at 5 p.m., and then USC-Villanova closes out the Cardinal & Gold Classic at 7:30 p.m. PT. Each of USC's matches will be streamed on Pac-12 Insider.
- USC and Colgate met for the first time.
- The Trojans improved to 180-52 all-time in matches played at the Galen Center.
- The Women of Troy improved to 38-9 all-time in season openers and to 38-9 in home openers, which includes an 11-5 mark in home openers played at Galen Center.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.