No. 24 USC Women's Volleyball Fetches 3-0 Sweep Against Retrievers
LOS ANGELES – The No. 24-ranked USC women's volleyball team (2-0) earned a 3-0 sweep (25-15, 30-28, 25-12) of UMBC (1-1) in the Trojans' second match at the Cardinal & Gold Classic at Galen Center on Saturday, Aug. 27.
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams matched her career high and led all players with 13 kills (1e, 16att) and hit .750 to go with a block and a service ace to finish with 14.5 points.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske scored 10 kills (5e, 24att, .208) and collected five digs, two blocks, and a service ace.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga had the Trojan offense humming to a .375 hitting rate and finished the day with 38 assists, eight digs, four kills (0e, 6att, .667), two service aces, and a block.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint led all players with 11 digs and added two of the Trojans' nine service aces.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields racked up nine kills (3e, 25att, .240), to go with four digs, and a block.
- Fr. OH Dani Thomas-Nathan had eight kills (2e, 16att, .375) and added four digs, two blocks, and a service ace.
- Jr. MB Lindsey Miller led all players with five blocks and added four kills and two service aces.
- For the Retrievers, Mia Bilusic had 11 kills and six digs. Kamani Conteh had nine kills and four digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans hit .375 and had 48 kills (12e, 96att) to UMBC's 25 kills (16e, 82att, .110). USC had a 39-28 edge in digs and went 9-2 in service aces over the Retrievers.
- USC scored 10 points on the last 11 rallies of the first set behind the service prowess of Williams and Weske to sew up a 25-15 win. Williams had four kills and Trubint put up six of her digs in the opening frame.
- UMBC came out aggressively and went on top, 15-6, in the second set by using a 10-0 run. USC stayed the course and chipped away to force a tie at 22-all. Fields and Williams each put in five kills apiece while Tuaniga and Miller scored two aces each. The Trojans needed five set points but closed the deal on a Williams kill for a 30-28 win.
- Weske and Williams had four kills each and powered USC to a big 25-12 win in the third with a .536 hitting percentage. USC led by as many as 15 points as Williams served a string of 10 straight rallies.
- The Women of Troy are back in action at 7:30 p.m. PT today (Aug. 27) to close the Cardinal & Gold Classic at Galen Center. UMBC and Colgate meet at 5 p.m. before USC takes on Villanova (1-1) on Pac-12 Insider.
- USC improved to 2-0 all-time against UMBC. The teams last met in the first round of the NCAA tournament in 1998 at the Lyon Center on the northwest corner of the USC campus.
- The Trojans improved to 181-52 all-time in matches played at the Galen Center.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.