No. 24 USC Women's Volleyball Sweeps Wildcats to Claim Cardinal & Gold Classic Crown
LOS ANGELES – The 24th-ranked USC women's volleyball team (3-0) completed the weekend with a 9-0 mark in sets with a sweep of Villanova (1-2) to conclude the Cardinal & Gold Classic at Galen Center on Saturday, Aug. 27.
Graduate middle blocker Kalyah Williams, senior outside hitter Skylar Fields, and sophomore setter Mia Tuaniga were each chosen to the all-tournament team. Tuaniga was named the tourney's Most Outstanding Player.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led all players with 14 kills (4e, 28att) and hit .357 to go with 11 digs for her first double-double as a Trojan. Fields added a solo block to finish with a match-high 15.0 points.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga dished out 31 assists and added five digs and two service aces.
- In her first collegiate start, Fr. OH Jordan Wilson scored 12.5 points on 11 kills (5e, 28att, .214) and had six digs, a service ace, and a block.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske put up nine kills (4e, 18att, .278) with seven digs, three blocks, and a service ace.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint had match-high honors with 13 digs and added four assists and a service ace.
- For the Wildcats, Riley Homer led the way with 11 kills (3e, 32att, .250) and three digs. Taryn Whittingham—the younger sister of USC great Taylor Whittingham (2013-16)—led 'Nova with 11 digs and added a service ace and an assist.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wilson scored kills on the first two rallies of the match and helped spur the Trojans to a 25-21 win in the opening frame. USC trailed by as many as four points (7-3) but mounted a comeback to flip the board and led the Wildcats by as many as five behind three blocks and two service aces.
- Fields racked up five of her kills in the second set and Tuaniga served two of her aces. Trubint picked up seven digs to help the Trojans hold 'Nova to a negative .081 hitting percentage (4k, 7e, 37att) in a 25-19 USC win.
- In the third, Weske and Fields each scored six kills apiece. Wilson had four kills to go with five digs and a service ace as the Trojans rolled out to a big 10-point lead at 23-13. The Wildcats roared to life and scored on eight of the next nine rallies to close within three points at 24-21. USC used a timeout and got the final kill from Weske to seal a 25-21 win.
- USC is back in action next weekend in the Bluejay Invitational hosted by Creighton in Omaha, Neb. The Trojans will face Northern Iowa and the Bluejays on Friday (Sept. 2) before a meeting with Kentucky on Saturday (Sept. 3).
- USC improved to 3-0 all-time against Villanova (2-0 in meetings at the Galen Center).
- The Trojans improved to 182-52 all-time in matches played at the Galen Center.
- The Women of Troy collected their third sweep of the season, totaling half the number of 3-0 victories in 2021.
- Other student-athletes selected to the all-tournament team: Taryn Whittingham (Villanova), Libby Overmyer (Colgate), and Mia Bilusic (UMBC).
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.