No. 25 USC Women's Volleyball Opens Bluejay Invitational on Four-Set Win Over UNI
OMAHA, Neb. – The 25th-ranked USC women's volleyball team (4-0) claimed a four-set win (25-18, 22-25, 25-21, 25-21) over Northern Iowa (1-3) to open the Bluejay Invitational at D.J. Sokol Arena on Friday, Sept. 2.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led all players with a season-high 22 kills (6e, 45att) and hit .356 to go with six digs and a block.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga put up 49 assists and had 5.5 points on three kills, two service aces, and a block.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske recorded her third-career double-double (first of the season) with a 10-kill performance (2e, 24att, .333) coupled with 13 digs. Weske finished with 15.0 points with four service aces and two blocks.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint had 11 digs and two assists. Fr. OH Dani Thomas-Nathan also reached double-digit digs for the first time in her career and had 10 to go with a service ace and three kills.
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams matched her career high with 13 kills (5e, 21att) as she hit .381 with two blocks and an ace.
- Jr. MB Lindsey Miller racked up 10 kills (0e) on 16 swings to post a .625 hitting percentage and added three blocks.
- For the Panthers, Emily Holterhaus led with 19 kills (.348) and had four blocks. Carly Spies led all players with seven blocks and added three aces and six kills. Sydney Petersen had a match-high 18 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans won the first set by seven points, 25-18, and led earlier in the frame by as many as seven at 17-10. Fields had five of her kills and Weske racked up seven of her digs to help USC claim the 1-0 lead.
- Set two was tied 12 times before the Panthers evened the match on a 25-22 win. USC came within a point several times down the stretch including at 22-23 but couldn't overcome UNI to keep its 10-set win streak alive. The Trojans hit .333 and had 17 kills in the set with Weske, Fields, and Miller each picking up four kills.
- USC scored 17 more kills in set three and hit .400 en route to a 25-21 win for a 2-1 lead in the match. Fields notched seven kills on 14 swings while Williams and Miller added three more kills apiece. USC led the entire way despite a short UNI run that brought the Panthers within three at 22-19.
- Fields had six more kills in the fourth set and Weske sewed up her double-double with two kills to give USC leads at 23-21 and 24-21. The Trojans finished with 16 kills and hit .364 in the fourth for a 25-21 win.
- USC is back in action this evening (Sept. 2) for a meeting with tournament host No. 17-ranked Creighton (3-0) at 7:30 p.m. CT (5:30 p.m. PT). The match will be shown live on FloVolleyball.
- USC improved to 9-1 all-time against Northern Iowa and has won the last four meetings.
- The Trojans' four-match win streak to open the season is the team's longest since it won four to open 2018.
- The four-match win streak also matches the longest within a single season under head coach Brad Keller, achieved three other times (Mar. 21-Apr. 3, 2020; Oct. 10-22, 2021; Nov. 14-22, 2021).
- USC's 10-set win streak through the first set against UNI is its longest under Keller.
- The Trojans improved to 6-4 all-time in the state of Nebraska with a 2-4 record in the city of Omaha.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.