Football Welcomes Alabama State to Rose Bowl Saturday
Venue: Rose Bowl Stadium
Kickoff Time: 2:07 p.m. PT
Television: Pac-12 Network
TV Talent: J.B. Long (play-by-play), Nigel Burton (analyst)
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from IMG College): AM 1150
Radio Talent: Josh Lewin (play-by-play), Matt Stevens (analyst), Wayne Cook (sideline)
SiriusXM: Ch. 85/Ch. 198
SXM App: Ch. 960
UCLA's season-opening homestand continues Saturday, as the Bruins host Alabama State on Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl Stadium in a non-conference battle to be televised by Pac-12 Network. The Bruin IMG Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM and the Varsity App. UCLA hosts South Alabama Sept. 17 before hitting the road to open Pac-12 play at Colorado Sept. 24.
This will be the first time the UCLA football program has lined up against a team from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Alabama State is a public, historically Black university located in Montgomery, Ala. that was founded in 1867. The Hornets are a member of the Football Championship Subdivision. Alabama State is coached by alumnus Eddie Robinson Jr., who was the Houston Oilers' second-round pick in the 1992 NFL draft and went on to enjoy an 11-year professional career with the Oilers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Oilers/Titans and Buffalo Bills. Alabama State's marching band is officially known as "The Mighty Marching Hornets" and performed in the 2019 Rose Parade in Pasadena, Calif.
UCLA opened the 2022 season with a 45-17 victory over Bowling Green in Pasadena last Saturday after outscoring the Falcons 38-0 after the visitors took advantage of Bruin miscues to go in front 17-7 early in the second quarter. The Bruins generated over 600 yards of offense for the third time during head coach Chip Kelly's four-plus years at the helm. The defense allowed 162 yards to the Falcons, including just 37 on the ground. Quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more while racking up 385 yards of total offense. Zach Charbonnet added 111 rushing yards for his eighth 100-yard game as a Bruin.
MEET THE BRUINS
Fifth-year head coach Chip Kelly was named UCLA's head football coach Nov. 25, 2017. Kelly owns a collegiate record of 65-32 compiled in four-plus seasons at UCLA and four more as head coach at University of Oregon (2009-2012). During that span in Eugene, Ore., his Duck teams captured first or a share of first in the North Division of the conference — including three straight outright championships from 2009-2011 — and made four appearances in BCS bowl games. Kelly guided Oregon to the national championship game (2010), two Rose Bowls (after 2011, 2009 seasons) and the Fiesta Bowl after the 2012 season. He was named the 2009 and 2010 Pac-12 Coach of the Year, 2010 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, 2010 Walter Camp Coach of the Year, 2010 Sporting News Coach of the Year, 2010 AFCA Coach of the Year and 2010 Associated Press Coach of the Year.
UCLA has added six new assistant coaches to Kelly's staff for 2022: Tim Drevno (offensive line), Jeff Faris (tight end), Chad Kauha'aha'a (defensive line), Ikaika Malloe (outside linebackers, special teams coordinator), Bill McGovern (defensive coordinator) and Ken Norton Jr. (inside linebackers). Transfers who have joined the 2022 team include: WR Jake Bobo (Duke), WR Ryan Cragun (Pennsylvania), DB Jaylin Davies (Oregon), OL Liam Douglass (USC), DB Azizi Hearn (Wyoming), QB Sean Holland (Fordham), OL Jaylan Jeffers (Oregon), LB Laiatu Latu (Washington), WR Titus Mokiao-Atimalala (UCF), LB Darius Muasau (Hawai'i), DL Gabriel Murphy (North Texas), DL Grayson Murphy (North Texas), OL Raiqwon O'Neal (Rutgers), DL Gary Smith III (Duke) and DL Jacob Sykes (Harvard).
AT A GLANCE
• The Rose Bowl is celebrating its 100th year of hosting some of the world's major events in 2022.
• UCLA has now won four straight games after its 2022 season-opening victory over Bowling Green. The last time UCLA earned four straight wins was during the 2015 season. It last won five straight contests in 2014.The Bruins closed the 2021 season with wins over Colorado, USC and California while scoring at least 40 points in each contest. UCLA outscored its counterparts by a 93-16 margin in the second halves of these games and outpointed the Falcons 21-0 after the break.
• UCLA registered 626 yards of total offense in the win over BGSU, which was the third time a Bruin team coached by Chip Kelly has hit the 600-yard mark (609 at USC in 2021, 657 at Washington State in 2019).
• UCLA racked up 269 rushing yards against BGSU and has now rushed for at least 200 yards in each of its last nine wins, including all eight in 2021.
• Dorian Thompson-Robinson recorded his ninth career 300-yard total offense effort with 298 yards passing and 87 more on the ground. Thompson-Robinson led the Pac-12 in total offense per game (274.4), passing efficiency (153.9) and passing yards per completion (13.7) in 2021.
• UCLA scored at least 40 points for the fourth straight game in the 45-17 verdict over BGSU. UCLA led the Pac-12 in scoring (36.5 points per game) in 2021 — the sixth-best average in school history.
• Zach Charbonnet ran for 111 yards on the ground int he opener, his eighth 100-yard game as a Bruin. He was second in the Pac-12 in rushing in 2021 (94.8 yards per game) and led league rushers with seven 100-yard games.
• The 269 yards rushing in the opener has UCLA ranked 18th in the NCAA. In 2021, UCLA ranked 14th in the NCAA and second in the Pac-12 with a rushing-yards-per-game average of 215.1.
• UCLA compiled 626 yards of total offense in the win over Bowling Green, the most since it racked up 657 in a comeback win at Washington State Sept. 22, 2019. It is the third time in head coach Chip Kelly's Bruin tenure the team has recorded 600 or more yards (also 609 at USC in 2021).
• UCLA held BGSU to 162 yards of total offense in the opener (39 rushing, 125 passing) ... it marked the first time UCLA held a team under 200 yards since its 2020 game against California (176). The last time a UCLA defense limited an opponent to fewer than 162 yards of total offense was 2008, when Arizona State gained 122 yards (21 rushing, 101 passing).
• UCLA has now scored 40 or more points in four straight game for the first time since 1998, when it did so in five straight.
• UCLA has earned a spot in a bowl game in each of the last seven seasons in which it has won its season-opening contest: 2021, 2017, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009.
• UCLA outscsored BGSU 21-0 in the second half of action last week. In winning its last three games of the 2021 season, UCLA outscored its opponents 93-16 in the second halves — including shutouts of Colorado (34-0) and Cal (25-0).
• UCLA has now won four straight games ... the last time it previously won four straight games was over the first four games of the 2015 season. The last time it captured wins in five straight games was during the 2014 campaign.
• UCLA is +19 turnovers in wins and -27 in losses overall under Coach Kelly... in 2021, UCLA was +5 in turnovers for the season, but committed seven of its 14 turnovers in its four 2021 losses ... in its four 2020 losses, UCLA committed 12 of its 13 turnovers on the season.
• UCLA scored three touchdowns of 50 yards or more against BGSU: Dorian Thompson-Robinson's 68-yard run, a 52-yard catch and run by Keegan Jones from Thompson-Robinson and a 50-yard strike from Ethan Garbers to Josiah Norwood.
• Ten players registered their first starts as Bruins against BGSU: WR Titus Mokiao-Atimalala, WR Jake Bobo, OT Raiqwon O'Neal, DB Devin Kirkwood, LB Grayson Murphy, LB Gabriel Murphy, LB Kain Medrano, DB Azizi Hearn, LB Darius Muasau and DL Jay Toia ... Mokiao-Atimalala, Bobo, O'Neal, Grayson Murphy, Gabriel Murphy, Hearn and Muasau made their UCLA debuts.
• Also seeing their first action as Bruins off the bench were the following 16 players: DL Jacob Sykes, LB Hayden Nelson, DL Sitiveni Havili-Kaufusi, TE Grant Norberg, DL Gary Smith III, OL Benjamin Roy Jr., LB Carson Schwesinger, LB James Dinneen, DB Kaleb Tuliau, DB Isaiah Newcombe, RB T.J. Harden, DB Jaylin Davies, QB/holder Sean Holland, RB Carsen Ryan, WR Ryan Cragun and LB Laiatu Latu.
• Two true freshmen saw action for the Bruins in the opener: RB Carsen Ryan and RB T.J. Harden.
For more, view the full UCLA football Week 2 release HERE.