Skip to main content


Pac-12 Networks programming may be unavailable due to technical maintenance.

Cal Records Road Shutout

Sep 8, 2022

FULLERTON, CALIFORNIA – California women's soccer earned a draw, 0-0, against Cal State Fullerton to push their unbeaten run to five games on Thursday evening at Titan Stadium.
Angelina Anderson recorded her 22nd career shutout and second of the season. Anderson was forced into two saves, both in the last couple minutes of the game. Cal has now shut out their opponents in eight halves and has not allowed more than one goal in any game this year.
The Bears (2-1-3) outshot Cal State Fullerton (3-1-3), 15-9, and had a 6-2 advantage in shots on goal as they dominated possession and opportunities, but could not find the go-ahead goal.
The Bears applied pressure from the start, as they took three shots in the first four minutes of the game. Keely Roy, who has scored three goals including some long-range strikes this year, recorded the Bears fifth shot in the 15th minute as she took the ball down 25 yards away and fired just high.
Three minutes later, Karlie Lema received the ball at the top of the box, and fired a stinging shot with her right foot that was just saved by Titan goalkeeper Mia Ranson.
In the 38th minute, Mia Fontana took the ball down the left and centered the ball to Ayo Oke who took the ball to her left foot and fired a shot that was headed for the top corner, except for a great save by Ranson.
The second half started with the Bears applying more pressure. After a high press, Oke picked up a loose ball made a move to get the ball on her right foot and fired a low shot.
After a water break in the 70th minute due to the high temperatures, Lema got the ball on the right flank and fired a screamer over the top of the net.
Fontana came closest to scoring for the Bears as she fired a 30-yard bomb with her off foot that forced Ranson into an 80th-minute diving save that she deflected onto the post, the Bears didn't get a break though as the ball bounced away.
Courtney Boone received a red card in the 83rd minute, forcing the Bears to play the final seven minutes down a player. The Titans recorded four shots and both of their shots on goal in the final stages after going up a player, but the Bears maintained their shutout.
The Bears will return to action on Sunday afternoon as they take on Bay Area rivals Santa Clara at 1 p.m. from Stevens Stadium in the South Bay. The match will be streamed on the WCC live stream channel.
For complete coverage of Cal women's soccer, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalWSoc), Instagram (@CalWSoc) and Facebook (/CalWSoc/).