Pac-12 Women's Soccer Weekly Rundown - Sept. 13, 2022
Sep 13, 2022
Week 4 Review
- Pac-12 programs combined to go 8-5-4 during the season's fourth week, with the eight wins coming from eight different programs - California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington State. UCLA, Utah and Washington State won their only matches of the week, while California and USC also had unblemished records, each going 1-0-1.
- Eleven of the league's 17 matches were on the road, with five of the 11 coming against power conference opponents.
- No. 1 UCLA held onto the top spot in the United Soccer Coaches rankings after routing Cal State Fullerton, 5-1. Undefeated in six matches, the 6-0-0 Bruins are one of only four teams in the country without a loss or draw this season (Harvard, Notre Dame, Rutgers).
- No. 22 Washington also remained unbeaten (5-0-2), playing Portland to a 1-1 draw. The Huskies are one of 32 teams in the nation without a loss and one of three in the Pac-12 (UCLA, Arizona State). UW has only conceded three goals this season and is 17th nationally in goals against average (.429).
- California played a scoreless draw with Cal State Fullerton and beat Santa Clara, 1-0, to run its unbeaten streak to six (3-0-3).
- Colorado dropped its first match of the week at Michigan State (4-2) and also tied Michigan, 1-1, on its road trip. The Buffs are averaging 3.62 goals per game and are second in the nation in scoring offense behind Southern Utah (3.83).
Week 4 Performers
- Playing for the first time since May 2021, Bruin senior Kali Trevithick scored the closing goals against Cal State Fullerton less than two minutes after entering the match. Her brace, which came in just nine minutes of action, was preceded by goals from Ally Cook, Maricarmen Reyes and Sunshine Fontes.
- California and USC pulled in this week’s Pac-12 Player of the Week awards, with Simone Jackson of USC winning Offensive Player of the Week and the Golden Bears' Sydney Collins and Angelina Anderson winning Defensive Player of the Week and Goalkeeper of the Week, respectively.
- Simone Jackson banked a single goal in each of the Trojans’ matches, aiding in their unbeaten weekend, along with picking up a single assist on the game-winner against CSUN. Sydney Collins played 180 minutes for a Cal defense that did not surrender a goal in two matches, while Angelina Anderson made four saves in earning her second and third shutouts of the season.
- Colorado's Shyra James continues to lead the NCAA in total goals (9) and total points (19) and is sixth in points per game (2.38) and fifth in goals per game (1.12).
In the Non-Conference:
- Pac-12 teams have combined to go 45-12-20 (.733) this season. The Conference is third in the NCAA in total wins and third in winning percentage percentage (ACC - .806; SEC - .748).
- Last week, the Bruins were one of 10 teams to have unblemished records this season. Now, UCLA is down to one of four undefeated teams in the country (Harvard, Notre Dame, Rutgers), all of which are tied for first nationally in winning percentage (1.000).
In the Top 25
- UCLA leads the nation in the Top Drawer Soccer poll for the second week in a row, the first time since 2018 the Bruins have been in the top spot in the TDS rankings for consecutive weeks. Stanford, which is spending its fifth week in the top-15, was knocked down a single spot to No. 11 after losing at Northwestern (1-0) and earning a victory over DePaul (3-1).
- UCLA is also No. 1 in the United Soccer Coaches poll for the second week in a row. Stanford has moved into a tie with Pepperdine at No. 9 and Washington is up two spots to No. 22. Colorado is among a group of nine teams receiving votes.
At Home and On the Road
- This week's 16 matches are split evenly, with eight at home and eight on the road.
- Three Pac-12 programs will hit the road to take on the top three programs in the WCC. Oregon will kick off its single match of the week at Portland (5-0-3), which is currently first in the WCC and is receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll, on Friday Sept. 16 at 6 p.m. PT.
- After hosting San Diego State on Thursday night, UCLA will finish out its weekend at No. 9 Pepperdine (5-0-2). Washington hosts Northern Colorado on Thursday before traveling to Saint Mary’s (4-1-2) on Sunday, Sept. 18 at at 1 p.m. PT.
- Utah's lone match of the week will be in Provo against No. 25 BYU on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 6 p.m. PT/7 p.m. MT.
- Following a COVID pause, Arizona State is back in action for the first time since Sept. 1 when it hosts Grambling State on Wednesday night. The Sun Devils' Nicole Douglas, the school record holder in career goals (51), is currently sixth in the NCAA in goals per game (1.00) and 10th in points per game (2.00).
Related News & Videos
9 hours ago