USC Women's Volleyball Sweeps New Mexico State to Collect 1,100th All-Time Win
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (6-3) collected a 3-0 sweep (26-24, 25-17, 25-16) of New Mexico State (6-3) in the first match of the Trojan Challenge at Galen Center on Thursday, Sept. 15. The Trojans improved to 4-0 in home matches and to 12-0 in sets played at Galen Center this fall. The win was also the program's 1,100th all-time victory.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga dished out 26 assists and had 11 digs to post her second double-double of the season (10th career) and added a pair of service aces, a kill, and a block.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint matched her career high with 17 digs and reached double-digit digs for the ninth straight match. She also put up four assists with a service ace.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske hit .550 with 11 kills (0e, 20att) and had three blocks and two service aces for 14.5 points.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led the Trojan attack with 13 kills (3e, 31att) and hit .323 to go with two digs and two aces.
- For the Aggies, Katie Birtcil led with 12 kills but hit .100 on the night (8e, 40att). Darian Markham had 12 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- USC outscored NMSU, 55.0 to 40.5, and had big edges in digs (49-41) and service aces (11-6). The Trojans won the first set with a .125 hitting percentage but dialed in the offense to hit .474 in set two and .448 in the third.
- The Aggies led by as many as four points three times in the first. USC erased the first four-point lead to tie the score at 17-all, but NMSU went on a 4-0 run to lead by four again. Against the ropes, the Trojans stared down a three-point hole (24-21) to score the final five points in a 26-24 win. Trubint turned in nine of her digs in the opening set.
- The score was tied at every point through 10-all in the second set, but USC used an 8-1 run to pull away and finished off a 25-17 win. Fields scored four of her kills in the second and Trubint picked up four more digs, but the Trojans did six points worth of damage from the service line with a pair of aces each from Fields and Kalyah Williams.
- USC carried momentum into the third and put its foot on the gas to run away with a 25-16 victory for the sweep. Fields had six kills, Weske had four, and Lindsey Miller had three more to help the Trojans hit .448 in the final frame.
- USC meets Milwaukee (1-7) for the first time when the Trojans and Panthers clash at 7 p.m. PT on Friday (Sept. 16) at Galen Center in the third match of the Trojan Challenge. New Mexico State and San Jose State (4-3) will play an earlier match at 4:30 p.m. PT.
- USC improved to 4-0 all-time against New Mexico State and faced the Aggies for the first time since 1982.
- The Women of Troy won the program's 1,100th all-time match to improve to 1,100-407-4.
- The Trojans improved to 4-0 in home matches this season with a 12-0 record in sets. It is also USC's fifth straight home victory dating back to last season's final home match (a five-set win over UCLA on Nov. 26, 2021).
- USC improved to 183-52 in all-time matches played at Galen Center.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.