September Round-Up From the Sun Devils’ Fall Season
TEMPE, Ariz. – The Sun Devil Women's Tennis program announced its fall schedule on Thursday, a slate that currently features 14 tournaments and concludes with the annual Thunderbird Invitational in November.
— Arizona State Women's Tennis (@sundevilwtennis) September 15, 2022
The fall season will officially commence on Monday, September 19, as seven Sun Devils will scatter across the country to play in a trio of events.
Freshman Chelsea Fontenel will play in the ITF Lubbock $15,000 as the lone Sun Devil competing in the Lone Star State, with competition held September 19-25.
ITF LUBBOCK $15k UPDATES
- Monday, September 19: Fontenel is through to the second round of the qualifying draw after defeating Margaret Polk in straight sets (6-2, 6-3)
- Tuesday, September 20: Fontenel is off to the Main Draw after toppling Carolina Bohrer Martins in the second round of the qualifying draw (6-3, 6-3). She's set to meet Megan McCray in the first round of the Main Draw next.
- Wednesday, September 21: Fontenel is eliminated in the First Round of the Main Draw, falling to Megan McCray (6-1, 6-1).
In Cary, North Carolina, Giulia Morlet, Domenika Turkovic, Rachel Hanford and Patricija Spaka will partake in the College Ranked Spotlight, hosted by N.C. State from September 22-25.
COLLEGE RANKED SPOTLIGHT UPDATES
- Turkovic/Spaka def. Ohio State's Cantos/Ratliff (6-4)
- Miami's Noel/Achong def. Turkovic/Spaka (6-4)
- USC's Cayetano/Seig def. Turkovic/Spaka (7-5)
- Morlet/Hanford def. UCF's Mattel/Sharma (7-6)
- Michigan's Miller/Brown def. Morlet/Hanford (6-3)
- Kansas' Ngounoue/Gagoshidze def. Morlet/Hanford (6-3)
- Morlet def. Virginia's Adams (2-6, 7-6, 6-1)
- Kansas' Ngounoue def. Morlet (6-4, 6-3)
- Auburn's Ansari def. Morlet (7-6, 6-4)
- Princeton's Frayman def. Morlet (6-1, 6-2)
- Morlet def. Miami's Pfenning (6-3, 7-6)
- Duke's Morra def. Turkovic (6-4, 6-0)
- Turkovic def. NC State's Rencheli (7-6, 7-6)
- UNC's Tran def. Turkovic (6-2, 6-4)
- Auburn's Arseneault def. Turkovic (6-1, 6-1)
- Miami's Achong def. Turkovic (6-7, 6-1, 10-8)
- UCF's Leslie def. Hanford (7-6, 4-6, 7-5)
- Virginia's Ziodato def. Hanford (3-6, 3-6)
- Tennessee's Aulia def. Hanford (7-6, 6-3)
- Duke's Codd def. Hanford (6-3, 6-3)
- Ohio State's Marzal def. Hanford (6-2, 7-6)
- Spaka def. Ohio State's Marzal (4-6, 6-4, 6-4)
- Kansas' Manu def. Spaka (6-3, 6-4)
- UCF's Sharma def. Spaka (6-4, 6-2)
- Spaka def. Kansas' Massey (6-4, 6-2)
- Kansas' Gagoshidze def. Spaka (6-4, 6-2)
Sedona Gallagher and Marianna Argyrokastriti will head to the Battle in the Bay, hosted by the University of San Francisco. Play will run from September 22-25.
BATTLE OF THE BAY UPDATES
- Friday, September 23: Argyrokastriti dropped her Round of 16 bout with USC's Naomi Cheong in three hard-fought sets (6-3, 4-6, 3-6).
- Thursday, September 22: Argyrokastriti has advanced to the Round of 16 in the singles draw after taking care of University of The Pacific's Alexis Sam (6-2, 2-6, 6-2). Gallagher was defeated in straight sets by Georgia's Dasha Vidmanova (6-0, 6-3). Together in doubles, the duo lost in the opening round of doubles, 8-3, by California State University's Yinglak Jittakoat and Matilde Magrini.
The following week, to wrap up the month of September, Argyrokastriti and Natasha Hill will head to Berkeley for the Cal Invitational, which is scheduled for September 30-October 2.
Fontenel will also look to play the ITF Austin $25,000, should she qualify for the event, beginning September 26.
This story will be updated with results, notes and numbers from each event the Sun Devils will compete in throughout the month of September.
Follow the team's Twitter account, @sundevilwtennis, for additional updates and information.