Skip to main content

Jordan Addison Catches Game-Winning TD As No. 7 USC Football Survives At Oregon State, 17-14

Sep 24, 2022

Jordan Addison caught a go-ahead touchdown with 1:13 left in the game as No. 7 USC Football survived in a thrilling 17-14 win at Oregon State in Corvallis, Ore., on Saturday night.

USC (4-0, 2-0 Pac-12) trailed for most of the game and only held the lead for 11 minutes — all in the fourth quarter. Addison only had three catches but delivered the game's most significant scoring play.

Amid a season-low 357 yards of total offense, USC's defense kept the Trojans in the game. The unit matched its season-high in interceptions with four picks.

Inside linebacker Eric Gentry was a standout on the Trojans' defense and finished with eight tackles, an interception and a pass deflection that led to Max Williams' game-sealing pick.

Travis Dye led the Trojans' offense throughout the game with 133 rushing yards on 19 carries and a touchdown. It was the senior running back's third straight game with over 100 yards on the ground.

This was the last scheduled conference meeting between USC and Oregon State (3-1, 0-1 Pac-12) before the Trojans join the Big Ten in 2024.

USC struggled to find a rhythm on offense for most of the evening. The Trojans opened with a failed 4th-down conversion on their first drive and couldn't score in three of their next four possessions of the first half. Miffed by Oregon State's talented secondary and a raucous Reser Stadium throughout the night, USC had expended all three first-half timeouts early in the second quarter to avoid delay-of-game penalties.

After a scoreless first quarter, Oregon State scored first Deshaun Fenwick's rushing touchdown that backed USC into its first deficit of the season.

Gentry recorded an interception midway into the second quarter that led to Denis Lynch's 42-yard field goal. It was USC's only points of the first half as the Trojans went into halftime down 7-3.

The defensive standoff continued in the third quarter. Ceyair Wright grabbed an interception near the end of the period that led to Dye's 7-yard touchdown run at the start of the fourth quarter.

USC's defense continued to contain Oregon State early in the final period, forcing a miss field goal and Mekhi Blackmon intercepting a pass near the Trojans' goal line. The Beavers, however, broke through with Jam Griffin's 7-yard touchdown run that put Oregon State up 14-10 with 4:44 remaining in the game.

Quarterback Caleb Williams led the Trojans on a 11-play, 84-yard drive that ultimately decided the game. The comeback received a second wind when offensive lineman Brett Neilon pushed Williams forward to convert on a fourth down.

Dye advanced the drive 29 yards over USC's next three plays. Williams connected with Addison on a 21-yard touchdown pass to put the Trojans ahead.

Oregon State had its final opportunity to score but Gentry's tip — followed by Max Williams' interception — ended the Beavers' comeback attempt after just five plays.

The Beavers finished with a season-low 320 yards of total offense. Griffin led their offense with 84 rushing yards. Oregon State quarterback was 17-of-29 passing with 167 yards along with his four interceptions.

The Trojans return to United Airlines Field at L.A. Coliseum for a two-game homestand, first hosting Arizona State next Saturday (7:30 p.m. PT/ESPN) followed by a home meeting with Washington State (kick time and television TBD).