Oregon State Travels To Utah For Midday Matchup With Utes
GAME 5: OREGON STATE VS. UTAH
October 1, 2022 • Salt Lake City, Utah • Rice-Eccles Stadium • 11:00 a.m. PT • Pac-12 Network
Television: Pac-12 Network
Play-By-Play: Ted Robinson
Analyst: Yogi Roth
Radio: Beaver Sports Network, Varsity Network (Oregon State)
Play-By-Play: Mike Parker
Analyst: Jim Wilson
Sideline: Ron Callan
Pre-Game: Steve Preece
SiriusXM Radio: 85 or 198
SiriusXM App/Internet: 960
Live Stats: OSUBeavers.com
Xfinity Comcast: 421/720 HD (Pac-12 Net), 420 (Pac-12 Oregon)
Dish Network: 406
Charter Spectrum: 332/452
- Oregon State opens the month of October Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City. The Beavers take on Utah in a game that starts at 11 a.m. PT (12 p.m. in Salt Lake City).
- The game will air live on the Pac-12 Network. Ted Robinson (play-by-play) and Yogi Roth (analyst) will call the action.
- The teams are meeting for the 25th time, and 11th in Salt Lake City. Oregon State leads the all-time series, 12-11-1, with Utah holding a 6-4 advantage in Salt Lake City.
- The game will air live on the Beaver Sports Radio Network. For a list of affiliates, turn to page two of these notes.
- Every game this season can be heard live on the Varsity Network, a free application available via computer browsers, smartphones and tablets. After downloading the application, search for Oregon State.
Oregon State Notables
- Oregon State is holding opponents to 357.3 yards of total offense per game, fourth-fewest in the Pac-12. The Beavers held USC to 17 points as the Trojans entered the game averaging better than 50 points per game.
- Jam Griffin became the third Beaver to lead the team in rushing this season when he tallied 84 yards versus USC. He joined Jack Colletto (vs. Boise State) and Deshaun Fenwick (vs. Fresno State and Montana State).
- Four different Beavers have also led the team in tackles.
- Oregon State led for most of the second half and held off a late Utah rally to defeat the Utes, 42-34, in 2021. The Beavers scored 28 second-half points - including 21 in the third quarter - for the win.
- B.J. Baylor ran for 152 yards and a touchdown while Trevon Bradford scored twice - once on the ground and one on a reception. Chance Nolan, meanwhile, averaged 14.86 yards per pass.
- Omar Speights tallied nine tackles and one tackle for loss.
Pretty Even Since 2020
- Twelve of Oregon State's last 17 Pac-12 games - all since 2020 - have been decided by 10 points or less. Oregon State has scored 501 points while allowing 504 over that stretch.
- OSU has averaged 411 yards of offense over those 17 games, 209 of which have come on the ground. The Beavers have allowed just under 415 yards during that stretch. Opponents have averaged 186 rush yards per game.
- Oregon State has 18 sacks since 2020. Its opponents have 19.
- The Beavers also have 384 first downs in Pac-12 play since 2020. Opponents are at 375.
- Oregon State has been getting out on the right foot in the first half of games this season. The Beavers have outscored opponents, 79-30, in the first half.
- OSU is averaging nearly 80 yards better than opponents - 232.3 to 153.8.
- The Beavers have passed for five touchdowns in the first half, and have yet to allow one. OSU has given up just two rushing scores.
- Opponents are also just 3-for-7 in the red zone in the first half, compared to a 8-for-8 mark for the Beavers.
- OSU is also 5-for-5 on fourth-down conversions.
Under Jonathan Smith
- Oregon State is 15-5 when leading at halftime. The Beavers are also 14-2 when taking a lead into the fourth quarter.
- The Beavers are 12-10 when controlling time of possession.
- Oregon State is 13-13 at home.
- The Beavers have scored 30 or more points in 23 of his 48 games, going 16-7.
- Oregon State is 12-6 when outgaining its opponent.
- Oregon State's offensive line was recognized as a finalist for the Joe Moore Award in 2021, given annually to the best collective group in the nation.
- Since the start of the 2021 season - a stretch of 17 games - the Beavers have allowed just 16 sacks. That's tied with Utah for the fewest in the Pac-12 over that stretch. It's also tied for the fourth-fewest in the nation.
- Jam Griffin's 84 rushing yards versus the Trojans marked a career-best for the transfer from Georgia Tech. He also scored his second touchdown of the season Saturday, giving him one in back-to-back games.
- Griffin has 144 yards on 24 attempts this season, an average of 6.0 yards per. For his career, which included 21 games at Georgia Tech, he has 521 yards on 115 attempts, a 4.5 per carry average.
Kipper To 36
- Brandon Kipper started his 36th career game - all consecutively - for the Beavers against USC. Kipper is aiming to become the 22nd player in school history to start 40 or more games as a Beaver.
- Only six players, meanwhile, have started 40 or more consecutively.