Beavers Set to Open Pac-12 Play With SoCal Swing
THE GAME: The Oregon State men's soccer team will open Pac-12 play this week when it heads to Southern California to face No. 21 UCLA and San Diego State.
FOLLOW ALONG: Thursday's match will air live on Pac-12 Networks, while Sunday's contest will feature a live stream run by SDSU. Follow @BeaverMSoccer on social media for updates.
UP NEXT: The Beavers will return home on Oct. 6 and 9 to face Stanford and California. Both of those matches are slated to air live on Pac-12 Networks.
- Javier Armas was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and College Soccer News National Player of the Week.
- The Beavers are coming off the best season in program history, as they went 14-2-4, won the Pac-12 and entered the NCAA Tournament as the No. 1 overall seed.
- Oregon State made the final eight of the NCAA Tournament last season, its deepest run in program history
- The Beavers have made the NCAA Tournament six times in program history, with three of those appearances coming in Terry Boss' four years as head coach
- Boss has the best winning percentage of any coach in program history at .658
- The Beavers posted their first win over a ranked opponent of the season last week, taking down No. 11 Denver on the road.
- Oregon State posted six clean sheets last season, a program record
- The Beavers welcome 17 newcomers to this year's squad
- Oregon State has representatives of nine different countries on its roster: USA, Spain, France, Argentina, Chile, Ethiopia, Germany, Italy, and Senegal
- The Beavers welcome in three new assistant coaches this season in Abel Wasswa, Sergi Nus and Alex Rangel
- Joran Gerbet, Gael Gibert and Adrian Molina Diaz all return to the Oregon State squad after earning All-Pac-12 recognition last season.
- Molina-Diaz scored six goals and had three assists last season, despite playing only 12 matches due to injury
- Mouhameth Thiam led the Beavers with five game-winning goals last season, despite starting just nine of Oregon State's 20 matches
- The Beavers are 33-7-7 at home during Boss' tenure
- The Beavers are 12th in the nation for corner kicks per game, averaging 7.5 per contest
- OSU has not lost in its last six Pac-12 home matches
- Joran Gerbet earned Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors last season, joining Joe Zaher, Robbie Findley, Danny Mwanga, Timmy Mueller and Sofiane Djeffal as Beavers to earn the honor (Findley, Mwanga, Mueller and Djeffal were all MLS Draft selections following their Beavers careers)
- Nicklas Lund led all Oregon State field players with 1,870 minutes played last season, starting all 20 matches on the OSU back line.
- Javier Armas and Lund are the only Beavers to play every minute in the first six matches.
- Oregon State is 10-36-1 all-time against UCLA, but the Beavers have won five of the last seven meetings. OSU has only beaten the Bruins once on the road.
- The two matches between UCLA and Oregon State last season featured a combined 12 goals scored.
- Adrian Molina-Diaz found the net twice against UCLA last season, while Joran Gerbet also scored vs. the Bruins
- The Beavers are 23-11-3 all-time vs. San Diego State and have won the last seven matchups in the series.
- Oregon State has allowed just one goal total in its last seven matches against SDSU, and has shut out the Aztecs in the last five meetings
- Molina-Diaz and Javier Armas both scored vs. SDSU last season