Football Hosts No. 15 Washington Friday Night
Venue: Rose Bowl Stadium
Kickoff Time: 7:35 p.m. PT
TV Talent: Roy Philpott (play-by-play), Andre Ware (analyst), Paul Carcaterra (sideline)
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from IMG College): AM 1150
Radio Talent: Josh Lewin (play-by-play), Matt Stevens (analyst), Wayne Cook (sideline)
SiriusXM: Ch. 146/Ch. 197
SXM App: Ch. 959
UCLA's first home Pac-12 Conference matchup of the season is set for Friday night on Spieker Field at Rose Bowl Stadium, where the Bruins will host No. 15 (AP)/18 (AFCA Coaches) Washington in a battle of unbeaten teams to be televised by ESPN. The Bruin IMG Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM and the Varsity App.
UCLA has only played Washington twice at home since the start of the Pac-12 Conference in 2011, loggin a win in 2013 and a loss in 2018. The last time UCLA played a non-Saturday game was 2020, when it beat California on a Sunday morning in the Rose Bowl. UCLA last played on a Friday night in 2018, when it lost at Colorado and again at home to Utah. UCLA's last Friday night win came at home versus Cal in the teams' 2017 regular-season finale.
UW (530.8) and UCLA (508.3) are the only Pac-12 offenses averaging at least 500 yards this season. The Huskies (44.0, 7.17) and Bruins (41.8, 7.01) are each averaging over 40 points per game and seven yards per play. UW (51.8) and UCLA (50.0) are the only league schools averaging at least 50% on third-down conversions this season. UW quarterback Michael Penix Jr. (172.2) and UCLA QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson (167.9) are rated 1-2 in this week's Pac-12 passing efficiency rankings.
UCLA opened the league slate last Saturday in Boulder, Colo. with a 45-17 triumph over Colorado. It marked the seventh straight win over the last two seasons for UCLA and its sixth road win in the last seven outings away from Pasadena, Calif. Thompson-Robinson's two touchdown passes lifted his career total to 69, second on the all-time school list behind Brett Hundley's (2011-14) total of 75. Zach Charbonnet registered 104 yards and three touchdowns on the ground at CU. It was his ninth UCLA 100-yard game and his rushing scores matched a career best. Laiatu Latu added 3.0 sacks to key the defense.
AT A GLANCE
• The Rose Bowl is celebrating its 100th year of hosting some of the world's major sports and entertainment events in 2022.
• This is only the third time UCLA has hosted Washington since 2010, logging a win in 2013 and a loss to 2018 ... UCLA holds an 11-4 all-time record versus UW in the Rose Bowl ... UCLA has played UW just twice during Chip Kelly's time at UCLA, posting a home loss in 2018 and a road win in 2021 ... the Bruins lead the series, which began in 1928, 41-32-2.
• UCLA's seven-game win streak is tied for the third longest in FBS college football behind Clemson (10) and Kentucky (eight). Coastal Carolina and Minnesota also have won seven in a row.
• UCLA's last victory against a ranked opponent came last season opposite then-No. 16 LSU in the Rose Bowl ... UCLA then entered the AP Poll at No. 16, itself.
• The last time UCLA won seven straight games was 2005, when it won its first eight of the season ... UCLA's all-time best winning streak is 20, over the 1997 and 1998 seasons.
• During its seven-game winning streak, UCLA has outscored the opposition 171-37 in the second halves of those contests.
• The Bruins have now won their first four games of 2022 ... the last time UCLA had won four straight to start a season was 2015 (Virginia, at UNLV, BYU, at Arizona) ... the last time it won five straight to open a season was 2013 (Nevada, at Nebraska, New Mexico State, at Utah, California). UCLA last won its first two conference games to start a season in 2013 (at Utah, Cal).
• Dorian Thompson-Robinson, who is rated fifth in the nation with a completion percentage of .748, made his 39th career start at Colorado to move into sole possession of third on the all-time school quarterback start list. Second on the chart is Brett Hundley (2011-14), with 40. Cade McNown (1995-98) is the all-time school leader, with 44.
• In last season's game at UW, Thompson-Robinson completed all eight of his passing attempts on a 90-yard, game-winning drive during the fourth quarter. Thompson-Robinon produced a 21-of-26 passing effort (.807) for the game. He added a fourth career 80% passing game last week at CU (19-of-23, .826)
• This week, Thompson-Robinson, now with 69 career touchdown passes, takes aim at all-time school leader Brett Hundley (2011-14), who has 75. Thompson-Robinson (674) is also poised to challenge for Cade McNown's (1995-98, 694) third-place spot on the all-time school completions list. He is also closing in on a move up in career passing yardage, where he enters the week fifth at 8,437 yards, with No. 4 Drew Olson (2002-05) at 8,532.
In last year's meeting in Seattle, Dorian Thompson-Robinson found the end zone three times, twice through the air and once on the ground, for 270 total yards in UCLA's 24-17 road victory. Thompson-Robinson saved his best drive for the fourth quarter, capping a 13-play, 5:47 drive with a strike to tight end Greg Dulcich to give the Bruins the lead. It was Thompson-Robinson's second passing touchdown of the game. He completed 21 of 26 passes for 183 yards.
In the last meeting between the two programs held in the Rose Bowl, in 2018, UCLA fell to then-No. 10 Washington 31-24 after trailing by 17 at the half. UCLA scored a pair of touchdowns in the fourth quarter, cutting the deficit to seven each time, but ultimately couldn't knot the scoreline. The Bruins were led on offense by running back Joshua Kelley (now with the Los Angeles Chargers), who recorded then-career highs in both rushing (125) and receiving (39) and tight end Caleb Wilson, who reached 100 yards receiving for the first time that season (102) while making eight catches. Then-freshman quarterback Thompson-Robinson completed 27 of 38 passes for 272 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
• UCLA has now won seven straight games. The Bruins last earned wins in seven straight contests when it opened the 2005 season with eight straight victories and rose to as high as No. 7 in the AP poll.
• UCLA has won its last five home games (2021 - Colorado and California, 2022 - Bowling Green, Alabama State and South Alabama), which is its longest streak since it captured wins in all six home games in the 2017 season.
• UCLA has outscored CU 24-7, USA 19-14, Alabama State 14-0 and BGSU 21-0 in the second halves of games to begin the 2022 season for a combined 78-21 edge. In winning its last three contests of the 2021 season, UCLA outscored its opponents 93-16 in the second halves — including shutouts of Colorado (34-0) and California (25-0). It has now outscored the opposition 171-37 in the second halves of its last six games.
• UCLA has outscored opponents this season 37-7 in the fourth quarters of games.
• Ten players registered their first starts as Bruins against BGSU: WR Titus Mokiao-Atimalala, WR Jake Bobo, OT Raiqwon O'Neal, DB Devin Kirkwood, LB Grayson Murphy, LB Gabriel Murphy, LB Kain Medrano, DB Azizi Hearn, LB Darius Muasau and DL Jay Toia ... Mokiao-Atimalala, Bobo, O'Neal, Grayson Murphy, Gabriel Murphy, Hearn and Muasau made their UCLA debuts. TE Hudson Habermehl made his first start against Alabama State. CB John Humphrey made his initial start at CU.
• Seeing their first action as Bruins in the Alabama State contest were QB Chase Artopoeus, K Joseph Firebaugh Jr., LS Beau Gardner, RB Christian Grubb, DL Hayden Harris, OL Jaylan Jeffers, DB D.J. Justice, K Ari Libenson, RB Deshun Murrell, LB Erich Osteen, DL Quintin Somerville, TE Sam Summa and true-freshmen RB Jack Pedersen, WR Braden Pegan, DB Kamari Ramsey, WR Elijah Rodriguez, DB Clint Stephens, DB Croix Stewart, LB Jalen Woods and P Chase Barry. In the opener, versus BGSU, 16 players saw their first action as Bruins off the bench: DL Jacob Sykes, LB Hayden Nelson, DL Sitiveni Havili-Kaufusi, TE Grant Norberg, DL Gary Smith III, OL Benjamin Roy Jr., LB Carson Schwesinger, LB James Dinneen, DB Kaleb Tuliau, DB Isaiah Newcombe, DB Jaylin Davies, QB/holder Sean Holland, WR Ryan Cragun, LB Laiatu Latu and true-freshmen RBs T.J. Harden and Carsen Ryan.
• Two true freshmen saw action for the Bruins in the opener: RBs T.J. Harden and Carsen Ryan. Nine more true freshmen saw their first action in Game 2 against Alabama State: P Chase Barry, WR Jadyn Marshall, RB Jack Pedersen, WR Braden Pegan, DB Kamari Ramsey, WR Elijah Rodriguez, DB Clint Stephens, DB Croix Stewart and LB Jalen Woods.
• After last week's win at CU, UCLA has won six of the last seven road contests (lone loss at Utah in 2021) over the 2020-22 seasons. UCLA's 4-1 road record in 2021 was the best by a Pac-12 team and included wins at USC, Arizona, Washington and Stanford.
• UCLA is +23 turnovers in wins and -27 in losses overall under head coach Chip Kelly... in 2021, UCLA was +5 in turnovers for the season, but committed seven of its 14 turnovers in its four 2021 losses ... in its four 2020 losses, UCLA committed 12 of its 13 turnovers on the season.
• UCLA is ranked 12th in the NCAA in total offense this week (508.2 yards per game) ... the Bruins compiled 626 yards of total offense in the win over BGSU, the most since it racked up 657 in a comeback win at Washington State Sept. 22, 2019. It is the third time in Coach Kelly's Bruin tenure the team has recorded 600 or more yards (also 609 at USC in 2021).
• UCLA is rated 20th in the nation in total defense (295.0) entering the week ... it held BGSU to 162 yards of total offense in the opener (39 rushing, 125 passing) ... it marked the first time UCLA held a team under 200 yards since its 2020 game against California (176). The last time a UCLA defense limited an opponent to fewer than 162 yards of total offense was 2008, when Arizona State gained 122 yards (21 rushing, 101 passing).
• UCLA scored three touchdowns of 50 yards or more against BGSU: Dorian Thompson-Robinson's 68-yard run, a 52-yard catch and run by Keegan Jones from Thompson-Robinson and a 50-yard strike from Ethan Garbers to Josiah Norwood. It had three such plays all of 2021.
For more, view the full UCLA football Week 5 release HERE.