Skip to main content

#12 Utah Football Beats The Beavers, 42-16

Oct 1, 2022

SALT LAKE CITY – The No. 12 University of Utah Football team held Oregon State to just three points in the second half, running away with a 42-16 victory over the Beavers in a sold-out Rice-Eccles Stadium. The Utes improved to 4-1 overall and 2-0 in Pac-12 play.

Utah scored 21 unanswered points in the second half, holding the Beavers to just 70 total yards of offense in the fourth quarter. Oregon State finished the game only completing 3-of-10 third down attempts in the game with Utah coming away with several key stops.

The Utes recorded 361 yards of total offense against the Beavers, producing 199 through the air and 162 on the ground. Utah also averaged 6.4 yards per play.  

Quarterback Cameron Rising finished the game 19-of-25 passing (76%) for 199 yards and three touchdowns, also rushing for 73 yards and a touchdown on seven carries (10.4 ypc). Of Rising's 19 completions, seven went to Devaughn Vele for a career-high 94 yards (13.4 ypc) with Vele also scoring on a 16-yard catch.

Jaylen Dixon was solid for the Utes as well, scoring two of their five offensive touchdowns, including a 22-yard rush and a 19-yard reception.

On defense, R.J. Hubert led the team with a career-high 12 tackles, also coming down with his second interception of the year (70-yard return). Karene Reid produced nine stops with JaTravis Broughton pitching in seven tackles.

Mohamoud Diabate led the front seven with six tackles, including a career-high 4.0 tackles for loss while Clark Phillips III was outstanding in the secondary with three of Utah's four interceptions. He also had three tackles on the day.

Twenty-one combined points were scored in the first eight minutes of the game with 14 coming from a heavy and early presence from the Utah defense. On just the second play of the game, Phillips came away with an interception to set the Utes up for its first scoring drive, with Rising finding Dixon open in the corner for an over the shoulder 19-yard catch and a 7-0 lead.

The Beavers would tie the game with a 29-yard rushing touchdown with 9:36 on the clock, but it would be time for Utah's defense – in particular Phillips, to counter once again. Oregon State took the field on its own 30-yard line with the Lakewood, Calif., native reading the play perfectly, picking it off and taking it back to the end zone for a 36-yard pick-six to give Utah a 14-7 lead with 7:21 to go in the first quarter.

The Utes made it 21-7 to start the second quarter with QB1 himself breaking tackles for a 24-yard rushing score at the 14:13 mark. The drive started in the first quarter with Munir McClain grabbing his first reception as a Ute for a 12-yard first down, ending with Rising's seventh-career rushing touchdown to wrap up the 60-yard drive.

The Beavers would have to settle on two field goals in the second quarter after more stingy defense from the Utes kept them out of the end zone. Diabate came up with two big stops on third downs in the second quarter, forcing both field goals with Oregon State knocking in two 26-yarders to make it 21-13 heading into halftime.  

Oregon State cut the Utah lead to 21-16 with 9:46 remaining in the third quarter on its third field goal of the game, hitting a 31-yarder to end a 44-yard drive. The Utes would once again make a key third down stop against the Beavers to force the field goal with Karene Reid making a tackle on a third-and-nine to keep OSU to three points.

After eight plays and 75 yards, the Utes would find their way into the end zone with 6:18 on the clock that included 61 yards coming through the air. Out of the 61 passing yards in the drive, 43 fell into the hands of Vele, who finished off the drive by pulling the Beaver defense across the goal line for a 16-yard receiving score to give Utah a 28-16 advantage.

Oregon State's offense took the field with 6:11 to go, driving to the Utah eight-yard line, but Hubert would claim Utah's third interception of the game, returning it 70 yards to the OSU 30-yard line. The Utes would score just two plays later with Dixon notching a 22-yard rushing score for a 35-16 lead with 1:57 on the clock.  

The Utes scored their third unanswered touchdown to start the fourth quarter, driving 36-yards after Cole Bishop stopped the Beavers on a fourth-and-one to give the possession back to Utah. Facing a second-and-four, Rising found Kincaid wide open in the middle for a four-yard scoring catch, putting Utah up 42-16 with 12:38 remaining in the game.

With 5:22 to go in the game, Phillips would notch his third interception of the day, making sure Utah's final touchdown would be the last points of the game.

The Utes will hit the road to Pasadena, Calif., to take on the UCLA Bruins on Saturday, Oct. 8, kicking off at 1:30 p.m. MT. The game will air on FOX.