USC Women's Volleyball Tops Utes in Four
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (11-4, 3-1 Pac-12) took down Utah (9-6, 2-2) in four sets (25-19, 21-25, 25-17, 25-21) at Galen Center on Sunday afternoon (Oct. 2).
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led all players and matched her season high with 25 kills (7e) on a career-high 69 attacks. Fields hit .261 and added six digs, four blocks, and a service ace to go with her sixth 20-kill match of the season (fourth straight).
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga posted her fourth double-double of the season (12th career) with 46 assists and 11 digs. She also put up four blocks and scored points on two kills and a service ace.
- Fr. OH Jordan Wilson set a new career mark with 16 kills (2e, 32att) and hit .438 with three digs, one block, and one ace.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint logged her 15th straight double-digit match and put up a team-best 17 digs with three assists and served a career-high four aces.
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams hit .400 and collected seven kills (1e, 15att) and put up a career-high nine blocks.
- For the Utes, Madelyn Robinson had 23 kills (9e, 56att, .250) with seven digs. KJ Burgess had six kills (0e) on 10 attacks and led Utah with five blocks. Vanessa Ramirez led all players with 22 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans collected a season-high 14.0 blocks (Utah had 7.0) and out-hit the Utes by a .264 to .216 clip. All-told, USC outscored the Utes, 81.0 to 62.0, to get the win.
- USC started the match strong and got six kills apiece from Fields and Wilson in a 25-19 first-set win. The Women of Troy hit .364 in the opening frame (14k, 2e, 33att) and put up three blocks. USC first led by six at 12-6 but the Utes trimmed the lead to two points at 16-14 before the Trojans closed out set one with a six-point win.
- The second set was tied seven times before Utah grabbed a 15-12 lead. The Utes led by as many as five, but the Trojans came within a point at 21-20. Fields had seven kills and USC put up four blocks, but Utah came up with the 25-21 win.
- Fields and Williams combined for 12 kills in the third and Trubint served two of the team's four aces. The Trojans had 17 kills to Utah's eight to sew up a 25-17 win for a 2-1 lead in the match.
- Five blocks and 19 digs in the fourth set helped USC hold Utah to a .116 hitting percentage (13k, 8e, 43att). Fields collected six more kills and Wilson knocked down four as the Trojans scored 20.0 points to close out a 25-21 win.
- The Women of Troy hit the road for a pair of Pac-12 matches in the desert next weekend. USC takes on Arizona (11-4, 1-3 Pac-12) on Friday (Oct. 7) at McKale Center in Tucson, and then heads to Tempe for a matchup with Arizona State (8-8, 2-2) at Desert Financial Arena on Sunday (Oct. 9).
- USC improved to 19-10 all-time with Utah and snapped a seven-match losing streak to the Utes. The Trojans go to 7-5 in all-time home matches with Utah.
- The Women of Troy improved to 187-53 all-time at Galen Center and to 8-1 at home this season.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.