Cats Close Out Qualifying Draw
TULSA, Okla. - Three Wildcats competed in the ITA All-Americans qualifying draw and one will represent Arizona in the main singles and doubles draws that begin Wednesday, Oct. 5.
In round one of singles, No. 46 Gustaf Strom, No. 77 Herman Hoeyeraal and No. 86 Colton Smith each won their matches in straight sets advancing to the round of 64. Fourth-seeded Strom took his singles match against Pawit Sornlaksup in swift straight sets and Hoeyeraal, who was seeded between 17-32, battled Fynn Kuenler (Tulane) and won in a third set tiebreaker. Smith, also seeded between 17-32, fell in a second set tiebreaker to No. 2 ranked freshman/newcomer Nishesh Basavareddy (Stanford). Doubles pair Strom and Smith lost in round one of the qualifying draw to Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (Ohio State).
No. 13 doubles pair Jonas Ziverts and Hoeyeraal are seeded between 5-8 in the main doubles draw and will compete against No. 17 Andres Martin and Marcus McDaniel in round one on Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 1:30 p.m. MST. Fresh off the first round of the Tiburon Pro Challenger in San Francisco, No. 32 Ziverts takes on No. 40 Max Basing (Stanford) in the round of 64 at ITA All-Americans. He competed against Ernesto Escobedo (USA) in the ATP tournament as a Wildcard selection. The Stockholm native gave six aces before falling 6-2, 6-4 to Escobedo.
Qualifying Results (Oct. 3-4)
Singles: Round of 128
- No. 77 Hoeyeraal def. No. 118 Jachuck (Harvard) 6-4, 6-4
- No. 86 Smith def. Murphy (UNC) 6-2, 6-3
- No. 46 Strom def. Klov-Nilsson (Oregon) 6-2, 6-0
Doubles: Round of 64
- Kingsley/Tracy (Ohio State) def. Strom/Smith 7(7)-6(5), 6-3
Singles: Round of 64
- No. 46 (4th seed) Strom def. Pawit Sornlaksup (Toledo) 6-2, 6-1
- No. 77 [17-32] Hoeyeraal def. Fynn Kuenkler (Tulane) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(4)
- No. 2 (freshman/newcomer) Nishesh Basavareddy (Stanford) def. No. 86 [17-32] Smith 6-4, 7-6(5)
Round of 32:
- [17-32] No. 82 Shunsuke Mitsui (Tennessee)def. No. 46  Strom 6-3, 6-3
- No. 49  Hunter Heck (Illinois) def. No. 77 [17-32] Hoeyeraal 6-4, 6-3