USC Women's Volleyball Tames Wildcats in Four-Set Desert Duel
TUCSON, Ariz. – The USC women's volleyball team (12-4, 4-1 Pac-12) claimed a four-set win (25-20, 22-25, 25-20, 25-20) over Arizona (11-5, 1-4) at McKale Center on Friday, Oct. 7.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led all players with 20 kills (6e) on 45 attacks to hit .311. It was her fifth straight 20-kill contest and her seventh of the season. She also put up 13 digs to log her fifth-career double-double.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske collected 12 kills (4e, 26att) to hit .308 and added three aces and four blocks.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga dished out 52 assists and set USC to a .272 hitting percentage (56k, 19e, 136att). She also logged three digs, one kill, one solo block, and one service ace.
- Fr. OH Jordan Wilson reached double-digit kills for the 10th time and finished with 13 kills to go with a solo block.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint put up a career-high 25 digs and recorded her 16th straight double-digit match.
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams hit .500 with nine kills (1e, 16att) and had five blocks to finish with 12.5 points.
- For the Wildcats, Jaelyn Hodge had 14 kills to lead the way. Sofia Maldonado Diaz had 11 kills but hit just .053. Kamaile Hiapo had 19 digs to lead the Arizona defense and Emery Herman put up 38 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans reached double-digit blocks for the fifth time this season and out-blocked the Wildcats, 10-7. USC also improved to 12-0 when it posts a higher hitting percentage than its opponent.
- Fields and Weske each had five kills in the first set to help the Trojans overcome a pair of four-point deficits and emerge with a 25-20 win. Down, 15-12, USC went on a 7-1 run to seize control of the set and sealed the win on Fields' fifth kill.
- It was more from Fields in the second set as the Trojans hit .333 with 14 kills, but Arizona proved too much with a .394 outing and 16 team kills as the Wildcats scored a 25-22 win to even the match.
- Trubint dug up 10 balls in the third frame and helped propel the Trojans to another 25-20 win. USC held Arizona to a .070 hitting rate with just 11 kills (8e) on 43 swings. Fields added five more kills while Williams and Wilson had four apiece.
- The Women of Troy never trailed in the fourth set and picked up a third and final 25-20 result to get the 3-1 win. Fields and Wilson each had four kills while Weske and Williams turned in three-kill performances. Trubint dug up seven more attacks and Fields had four digs to lock up her fifth double-double of the season.
- The Women of Troy continue their trek through the desert to meet up with Arizona State (8-9, 2-3 Pac-12) at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Ariz., on Sunday (Oct. 9) at 1 p.m. PT.
- USC improved to 70-22 all-time against Arizona and extends the winning streak over the Wildcats to eight straight.
- The Trojans improved to 60-25 all-time in the state of Arizona and to 28-16 in Tucson. It is also USC's fifth straight win in the Copper State and makes the Trojans 8-for-10 in their last 10 matches in Arizona.
- USC won its third straight match for the third time this season. Previously, the Women of Troy were able to extend those streaks to four consecutive wins.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.