Postgame Notes: Utah at UCLA
Oct 8, 2022
(at) No. 18 UCLA 42, No. 11 Utah 32
Pasadena, Calif. (Rose Bowl)
Sat., Oct. 8, 2022
Kick: 12:45 p.m. PT | End: 4:07 p.m.
- Saturday's game was the first meeting between Utah and UCLA when both teams were ranked in the AP Poll (19 previous matchups).
- Utah's five-game winning streak vs. UCLA was snapped, which had dated back to 2016. The Utes had also won three straight over the Bruins inside the Rose Bowl, dating back to 2014.
- Prior to Saturday, the Utes had won seven consecutive Pac-12 regular season games (since Oct. 30, 2021) and eight straight overall against conference foes (including the 2021 Pac-12 Championship vs. Oregon).
- Since joining the Pac-12 in 2011, Utah is 55-43 in regular season conference games and 24-24 on the road.
- Head coach Kyle Whittingham is 148-72 at the helm. Including Whittingham's time as an assistant coach (1994-2004), he has been on staff for 345 games, more than any other coach in program history.
- With Whittingham as head coach (2005-present), Utah is 66-23 when ranked in the AP Poll.
- UCLA's 7-0 lead during the first quarter marked the first time Utah played from behind since Sept. 3 at Florida. Utah had last trailed in a Pac-12 game on Nov. 26, 2021 vs. Colorado (trailed 3-0; won 28-13).
- UCLA won the coin toss and deferred to the second half. Utah received the opening kickoff and UCLA defended the South goal.
- Quarterback Cameron Rising was 23-of-32 passing for a season-high 287 yards and one interception. Rising additionally rushed 13 times for 59 yards and a career-best two rushing touchdowns. He now has nine career rushing touchdowns.
- Rising needs 22 passing yards to eclipse 4,000 in his career.
- Rising is the first Utah quarterback with multiple rushing touchdowns in a game since Tyler Huntley (2) vs. Washington State on Sept. 28, 2019.
- Wide receiver Makai Cope had his first career multi-reception game (3), including a career-long 14-yard reception during the first quarter.
- Running back Tavion Thomas' five-yard rushing score was his 26th as a Ute and ties Eddie Johnson (1984-88) for third-most in program history.
- After starting the game 1-for-5 passing, Rising was 13 of his next 15, including a stretch of eight straight completions during the second quarter.
- For the third time in his career, Rising has back-to-back games with a rushing touchdown. The last time he had back-to-back games with a rushing touchdown was on Nov. 13 and Nov. 20, 2021.
- Rising successfully rushed for a two-point conversion during the third quarter. It is Utah's first successful two-point conversion since the 2021 Pac-12 Championship on Dec. 3, 2021 vs. Oregon (which was also a Rising rush).
- Rising's rushing touchdown in the third quarter marked Utah's third score on a second-half opening drive this season (vs. Southern Utah, vs. San Diego State, at UCLA).
- Safety R.J. Hubert has posted back-to-back 10-tackle games for the first time in his career (12 vs. Oregon State). He is the first Ute to record consecutive 10-tackle outings since Devin Lloyd had four straight from Dec. 19, 2020 through Sept. 18, 2021.
- Hubert had 2.0 TFL for five yards; they were the first of Hubert's career.
- During the fourth quarter, cornerback Clark Phillips III returned an 80-yard interception for a touchdown. It is Phillips' fourth career pick-six (2020 and '21 vs. Washington State, 2022 vs. Oregon State, 2022 at UCLA) which ties Andre Dyson (1997-2000) for most in school history.
- Entering the weekend there was only one active player in the Power Five with four career pick-sixes (Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State).
- Phillips' 80-yard return on the pick is the 13th-longest interception return in program history and second-longest in the Pac-12 era (Jaylon Johnson had a 100-yard pick-six in 2018 vs. Stanford).
- Phillips is the first Pac-12 player since Arizona's Tra'Mayne Bondurant (2011-14) to record four career pick-sixes. Since 1996, Phillips is one of just seven players in the conference to accomplish the feat.
- His interception extended Utah's active streak to eight consecutive games with a takeaway.
- Defensive end Van Fillinger has a TFL and a sack in three of the last four games. Fellow defensive end Connor O'Toole has a TFL in two of the last three games.
- In all six games this season, Utah's defense has not allowed points on its opponents' game-opening drive.
- UCLA's second half opening drive was the first Utah opponent second half lid-lifter this season to end in a touchdown.
Related News & Videos
19 minutes ago
4 minutes ago