Bears Head To ITA NW Regionals
BERKELEY – The California women's tennis team will send the Golden Bears to compete in the ITA Northwest Regional Championships at Stanford this week, with the annual event running Friday through Tuesday at the Taube Family Tennis Center. The Bears are seeking to qualify for the ITA National Fall Championships slated for Nov. 2-6 in San Diego.
The pair of Cal sophomores Jessica Alsola and Katja Wiersholm is seeded second in doubles, and Valentina Ivanov and Hannah Viller Moeller are seeded fourth. Erin Richardson and Makenna Thiel are also in the doubles field for the Bears.
Four Bears are seeded in singles: No. 2 Alsola, No. 5 Wiersholm, No. 7 Viller Moeller and No. 9 Ivanov. Richardson, Thiel and Cami Brown are also in the singles draw at the regional.
The ITA will update scores on its draws here. Live video and scores are available here, and fans can also follow updates of Cal matches at @CalWomensTennis.
Alsola Wins Title At All-American
In the Bears' last competition, Jessica Alsola captured the consolation singles title at the ITA All-American Championships on Oct. 9, with the 50th-ranked Cal sophomore defeating San Diego's 34th-ranked Solymar Colling, 6-2, 6-3 in the final in Cary, North Carolina.
Alsola also teamed with Katja Wiersholm to advance to the consolation doubles semifinals. Along the way, the Bears posted a notable victory over Tennessee's fifth-seeded and 10th-ranked Rebeka Mertena and Esther Adeshina, 6-2, 6-1, in the quarterfinals.
Alsola was an ironwoman at Cary Tennis Park, where she played eight matches over five days at the All-American.
Last Year At ITA Regionals
In the 2021-22 season, Cal's Jessica Alsola and Erin Richardson – playing doubles for the first time together – won four matches before falling in the semifinals of the ITA Northwest Regional Championships at Stanford. The Bears would play in their second tournament together a week and a half later in the ITA National Fall Championships.
Alsola also made noise in singles at regionals, reaching the semifinals after, ousting Stanford's sixth-seeded and 87th-ranked Angelica Blake in the quarterfinals, 1-6, 6-2, 6-0.
The Bears earned five rankings in the ITA's preseason polls. Senior Haley Giavara is ranked 25th in singles, Jessica Alsola is ranked 50th and Katja Wiersholm is 97th. In doubles, the pair of Giavara and senior Erin Richardson is ranked 42nd and the duo of senior Valentina Ivanov and junior Hannah Viller Moeller is 57th.
Scouting the Bears
- In the season-opening Cal Fall Invitational, Jessica Alsola and Valentina Ivanov beat top-flight champion Connie Ma and Alexandra Yepifanova, 8-3, in an extra doubles match on the last day of the tournament
- Ivanov and Alsola reached the top-flight doubles semifinals and Ivanov played in the top-flight singles quarterfinals at the Cal Fall Invite
- In the final ITA polls of the 2021-22 season, Haley Giavara was ranked 36th and Jessica Alsola was 70th in singles, while in doubles Giavara and Valentina Ivanov were 40th and Alsola and Katja Wiersholm were 74th
- Five Bears returning for the 2022-23 season earned 2022 All-Pac-12 honors, led by second-team selections Giavara and Alsola, and including honorable mentions Wiersholm, Erin Richardson and Hannah Viller Moeller
- A two-time singles All-American – who earned her second honor last season - Giavara posted records of 15-14 in singles and 21-9 in doubles last spring
- Alsola compiled the best singles record (32-9) for the Bears and was also 23-9 in doubles last year
- Over the summer, Alsola won a doubles title and was the singles runner-up in a 15K Frederiksberg tournament in Denmark
- Wiersholm – who was 21-3 in singles and 17-5 in doubles as a freshman – won her first 17 singles matches before losing in Cal's 4-3 win over No. 5 Pepperdine in Berkeley
- Wiersholm reached the doubles semifinals and the singles round of 16 of the USTA Billie Jean King Girls' 18 National Championships in August
- Viller Moeller, a junior, was 27-13 in singles and 11-7 in doubles as a sophomore
- Over the summer, Viller Moeller repeated as the Danish singles and mixed doubles champion
- Also over the summer, Ivanov, now a senior, won a 15K Monastir doubles title in Tunisia
- As a junior, Ivanov was 14-13 in singles and 19-10 in doubles
- Former two-time NCAA doubles champion Amanda Augustus – the 2021 Pac-12 Coach of the Year and five-time ITA Northwest Region Coach of the Year (including in 2021-22) – is in her 16th year as head coach at her alma mater
- Associate head coach Zack Warren – the 2022 ITA Northwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year, who has collected four regional awards overall – is in his ninth year on the staff
The Bears compete in the Saint Mary's Fall Invitational from Oct. 28-30 in Moraga.
For further coverage of the Bears, follow them on Twitter (@CalWomensTennis), Instagram (@CalWomensTennis) and Facebook (@CalWomensTennis).