Bears Back On The Road
BERKELEY – The California field hockey team returns to the Bay Area this week and will make the short trip across the bay to take on rival Stanford at the Varsity Field Hockey Turf at Stanford, Calif.
The Bears and Cardinal are slated for a 6:05 start time. Friday's America East contest will feature live stats and will be televised on Pac-12 Network with Troy Clardy calling the action live.
GAME 12 INFORMATION
Date/Time: Oct. 14, 2022 – 6:05 p.m. PT
Opponent: Stanford Cardinal (5-6, 3-2 AE)
Site: Varsity Field Hockey Turf (Stanford, Calif.)
TV: Pac-12 Bay Area
Talent: Troy Clardy (play-by-play)
Live Stats: StatBroadcast.com
AT A GLANCE
- Heat Check: Against Maine, Kiki de Bruijne scored her third goal in as many games. The goal for the junior midfielder matches her career-high from her breakout freshman year. For her career, she now has eight goals and four assists for 20 points.
- Onners On the Defense: Senior defender Jane Onners is having a stellar season on the backline for the Golden Bears. Onners has four defensive saves on the year, tops in the America East and sixth in the nation. The Bears' swiss army knife also has 22 shots which is second on the team, and three assists which are tied for tops on the team.
- Brick Wall: Senior Cato Knipping had another strong weekend in goal for the Bears. Against UNH she tallied a save on a penalty shot. She finished the weekend with nine saves – giving her 66 for the season and 231 for her career. Cato ranks eighth in the conference in goals against average and saves. Her 5.73 saves per game rank third in the conference and 12th in the nation.
- Sharing the Wealth: Forwards Rachel Buttinger and Sara Stone lead the team with four goals apiece, however, the Bears attack has been very diverse this year with 10 players scoring at least one goal – eight of those players have two or more.
- Checking the Standings: With three weekends left in the regular season the Bears' path to the America East Conference Tournament is beginning to clear up. Cal, at 2-3 in the AE, currently sits in seventh in the AE standings behind New Hampshire who is 2-2. Ahead of the Bears in the standings is Stanford (3-2), Vermont (3-2), and UMass-Lowell (4-1). Cal is scheduled to play all three over the final three weeks of the season. The top-six teams in the conference advance to the AE tournament takes place Nov. 2-6.
ABOUT THE CARDINAL
The Cardinal enter Friday's match with an overall record of 5-6 but are 3-2 in the America East thanks to three-straight shutouts in AE play. Stanford returns home after six-consecutive road contests, including back-to-back wins on the East Coast over UAlbany (1-0) and Bryant (3-0). Through 11 contests, Stanford is led by Rose Winter and Haley Mossmer with nine points each. Mossmer has scored in three-straight AE contests, including a pair of game-winners, her four goals on the year lead the team.
Friday will be the 121st meeting between the Bears and Cardinal. All-time Cal is 55-60-5 against Stanford. The series dates back to Oct. 13, 1976 when the Cardinal defeated Cal 4-1 in Berkeley. Last time out, Cal got the better of their rivals 2-0 on Oct. 22, 2021, it ended a nine game skid against the Cardinal.
Cal returns home next week for a non-conference contest against James Madison on Sunday, October 23. The Bears and Dukes are slated for a 1 p.m. start time. The contest will feature live stats and live video.