USC Women's Volleyball Extends Streak to Six in Win Over Oregon State
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (15-4, 7-1 Pac-12) pushed its win streak to six straight matches on a four-set victory (21-25, 25-20, 25-19, 25-12) over Oregon State (6-12, 1-7) at Galen Center on Sunday, Oct. 16. The Trojans have won 10 of their last 11 and are on the program's longest win streak since 2016.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields racked up her eighth consecutive match with over 20 kills (10th this season) and finished with 23 kills (4e, 44att) and a .432 hitting percentage. She also added seven digs on the defensive side of the net.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga put up 45 assists to go with eight digs, five service aces, and two kills.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint led all players with 20 digs and had her 19th match in double-digit digs. It was her fifth 20-dig match.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske tallied nine kills (3e, 23att, .261) and had four blocks and four service aces.
- So. MB Katelyn Smith led all players with seven blocks (one solo) and added five kills (2e, 11att, .273) and three digs.
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams had six kills (2e, 18att, .222) with two blocks (one solo) and recorded a service ace.
- For the Beavers, Mychael Vernon led with 12 kills (2e, 32att, .312) while Nursena Ballioglu posted 10 kills (6e, 34att, .118). Inna Balyko put up 34 assists with three service aces and eight digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Oregon State had the early advantage, but USC finished with a .276 to .156 edge in hitting percentage. For the 14th time, the Trojans out-blocked their opponent and finished, 9-6, over the Beavers.
- USC led by as many as five points in the first set, but a 15-10 lead was met with Oregon State's 15-6 run as the Beavers claimed the opening frame, 25-21. The Trojans hit just .094 in the first with eight errors (11k) on 32 swings.
- The Trojans had three blocks and scored points on five aces to even the match with a 25-20 win in set two. USC hit .233 to OSU's .212 and got five kills from Fields and three from Weske, who served three of the Trojans' aces.
- Fields posted six of her kills in the third set while Weske had four and Williams added three. USC hit .297 to outpace the Beavers' .152. Both teams had two aces and two blocks apiece, but the Trojans' 17 kills proved too much in a 25-19 win.
- USC never trailed in the fourth set. Fields added another seven kills without an error on just nine swings to power the Trojans to a dominant 25-12 win. USC hit .500 in the final frame (16k, 2e, 28att) and got three aces from Tuaniga. Oregon State managed just six kills (5e) on 26 attacks for a .038 hitting rate.
- The Trojans wrap up the front half of the Pac-12 schedule with a road trip to the Bay Area. USC meets California (7-11, 0-8 Pac-12) on Friday (Oct. 21) at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, Calif., and then takes on No. 7 Stanford (11-4, 6-1) on Sunday (Oct. 23) at Maples Pavilion in Stanford, Calif. The USC-Cal match will be shown live on Pac-12 Bay Area and the USC-Stanford match will be streamed live on the Pac-12 Insider platform.
- USC improved to 61-10 all-time against Oregon State and to 32-3 at home against the Beavers. The Trojans have won four consecutive matches against OSU.
- The Trojans' six-match win streak is the longest this season and their longest under head coach Brad Keller. It is the program's longest streak since USC won eight in a row (Sept. 2-16, 2016) under Mick Haley.
- USC has won 10 of its last 11 contests with only a single five-set loss.
- The Trojans improved to 189-53 all-time at Galen Center. USC is 10-1 in 11 home matches this season.
- All seven of USC's Pac-12 victories this season have been in four-set contests.
- USC's match with Oregon State was its designated home Pink Game match. The Trojans wore a custom pink jersey as part of efforts to spread awareness for breast cancer research.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.