USC Women's Volleyball Heads North for Bay Area Battles
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (15-4, 7-1 Pac-12) closes the front half of the Pac-12 schedule with a trip to the Bay Area where the Women of Troy will face California (7-11, 0-8) on Friday (Oct. 21) and 7th-ranked Stanford (12-4, 7-1) on Sunday (Oct. 23). The Trojans and the Cardinal enter the weekend tied atop the Pac-12 standings each with seven wins through eight contests. USC's six-match win streak is the longest under head coach Brad Keller and is the team's longest since it had an eight-match streak in 2016.
MATCH #20 • Friday, October 21 • 7 p.m. PT
USC (15-4, 7-1) at California (7-11, 0-8)
Haas Pavilion • Berkeley, Calif.
SERIES RECORD: USC leads, 65-12 (.844)
LAST MEETING: W 3-1 (Sept. 26, 2021 • Berkeley, Calif.)
STREAK: Won 12 • LAST 10 MEETINGS: 10-0
TV: Pac-12 Bay Area (Ted Enberg)
OPPONENT WEBSITE: CalBears.com
MATCH #21 • Sunday, October 23 • 1 p.m. PT
USC (15-4, 7-1) at No. 7 Stanford (12-4, 7-1)
Maples Pavilion • Stanford, Calif.
SERIES RECORD: USC trails, 26-68-1 (.274)
LAST MEETING: L 0-3 (Nov. 24, 2021 • Galen Center)
STREAK: Lost 9 • LAST 10 MEETINGS: 1-9
TV/STREAM: Pac-12 Insider (TBA)
OPPONENT WEBSITE: GoStanford.com
FIRST SERVE (TL;DR)
- USC is led by third-year head coach Brad Keller who has the unique experience of having also served as an assistant for the USC men.
- The Trojans return just six letterwinners from last year's squad. Four transfers and seven freshmen make up the lion's share of USC's 17-woman roster.
- USC's six-match win streak is the longest under Keller and the longest since the Trojans won eight in a row (Sept. 2-16, 2016) under Mick Haley. The Women of Troy have also won 10 of their last 11 matches.
- USC has won 12 straight against California and is 19-1 in the teams' last 20 meetings dating back to 2010. The Trojans are 29-7 in Berkeley and ride a 12-match winning streak at Haas Pavilion since 2009.
- The Trojans have played in Bay Area cities 92 times and are 45-47.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields has received the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week award each of the last three weeks. She leads the Pac-12 in kills (358), kills per set (5.04 kps), points (386.5) and points per set (5.44 pps). She is the only outside hitter to rank the league's top 10 for hitting percentage (.326).
- So. S Mia Tuaniga set a new school record with 10 service aces against Colorado (Sept. 30) and recorded only the second rally-scoring era triple-double school history (37 assists, 10 digs, 10 aces). She leads the Pac-12 in aces (41), aces per set (0.54 saps), and assists (11.08 aps).
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint ranks second in the Pac-12 in digs (4.20 dps) and earned back-to-back Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week awards. She has 19 double-digit digs matches and five with 20 or more.
- USC volunteer assistant coach Savannah Rennie played for Cal as an undergraduate (2015-19) before playing as a grad at Marquette (2020-21).
- First-year Stanford assistant coach Alex Dunphy was a member of USC's 2003 NCAA championship squad as a freshman and later served as an assistant coach for the Women of Troy during the 2018-19 seasons.
LAST TIME OUT: USC extended to a six-match win streak with a pair of four-set wins over 17th-ranked Oregon and Oregon State at home. The Trojans' win over the Ducks was USC's first against a ranked opponent this season. For their efforts, OH Skylar Fields and LIB Gala Trubint earned back-to-back Pac-12 Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week awards. Fields poured in another 50 kills while hitting over .400 on the week and Trubint posted back-to-back 20-dig matches to keep her streak of 19 consecutive matches in double-digit digs going.
SIX-PIECE NUGGETS: The Women of Troy return just six letterwinners from the 2021 squad. Sophomore setter Mia Tuaniga and senior OPP Emilia Weske bring back significant starting experience. Senior OH Kalen Owes and libero Keila Barra also return alongside sophomore MBs Katelyn Smith and Tyrah Airial. All-told, with seven freshmen and four transfer student-athletes, the lion's share of the Trojans' 17-woman roster will be made up of newcomers.
MILESTONE UNLOCKED: USC's 3-0 victory over New Mexico State (Sept. 15) was the program's 1,100th all-time victory. The Trojans are 1,109-408-4 all-time and went nearly six years since the last 100-win milestone. The last one (1,000th) came in a 3-1 win over Arizona State on Oct. 5, 2016, under head coach Mick Haley.
PAC-12 POW(ER)S: USC players have received Pac-12 Player of the Week honors 85 times (fourth all-time). OH Skylar Fields was chosen as the Offensive Player of the Week on Oct. 3 for her first-career honor and earned back-to-back-to-back awards (Oct. 10, Oct. 17). LIB Gala Trubint received her first-career award on Oct. 10 as the Defensive Player of the Week and repeated on Oct. 17. Fields was previously named the Big XII Player of the Week twice while at Texas. Since 2011, when the Pac-12 began honoring separate offensive and defensive players of the week and introduced a freshman award, Trojans have earned 26 offensive awards, 13 defensive awards, and 20 freshman honors. Trojans Samantha Bricio (9), Natalie Hagglund (5), Asia Kaczor (5), and Jennifer Kessy (5) have had the most individual career selections.