No. 24 USC Women’s Volleyball Falls to Utah
SALT LAKE CITY – The 24th-ranked USC women's volleyball team (16-6, 8-3 Pac-12) was defeated in three sets (25-22, 27-25, 25-22) by Utah (13-9, 6-5) at Jon M. Huntsman Center on Friday night (Oct. 28).
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led the Trojans with 23 kills (4e, 49att, .388) and had eight digs and two blocks (one solo) for 24.5 points. It was her 21st match in double digits and the 11th time she has broken the 20-kill mark.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga put up 41 assists and added four digs, three kills, and a block.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint led the team with nine digs. Sr. DS Keila Barra added eight digs and Gr. DS Kelli Barry had seven.
- For the Utes, Madelyn Robinson led with 17 kills (5e, 43att, .279) and KJ Burgess had nine kills (1e, 10att, .800) with a match-high four blocks. Emily Smith put up 38 assists with 10 digs for the double-double and served three aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The score was tied seven times in the first set. Utah went in front by four to lead, 17-13, but USC responded with a 4-0 run to tie things once up for the last time. The Utes went up, 20-17, on a 3-0 run and USC closed to within a single point twice, but Utah held on for a 25-22 win in a back-and-forth opening frame. The Trojans hit .229 to Utah's .265 in the first set but the Utes had a 3-0 edge in blocks and went 2-1 in aces from the service line.
- USC led the second set by as many as seven points at 16-9, but a furious comeback by the Utes knotted the score at 21-all. The Trojans fought off three set points, but Utah came all the way back to take a 2-0 lead in the match on a 27-25 win. Fields had eight of her kills in the second, but the Ute defense came to life down the stretch to help Utah out-dig USC, 19-15. The Utes hit .293 in the second to stay in front of USC's .208 effort.
- The Trojans never led in the third but scored ties with the Utes at 17 and 18-all. Fields racked up 11 kills on just 18 swings without an error (.611) and USC hit .467 as a team. The Trojans turned in three blocks but were undone in the serve-receive game with six service errors and four reception errors in a 25-22 set.
- The Trojans head to the Centennial State to take on Colorado (14-7, 6-5 Pac-12) on Sunday (Oct. 30) at 12 p.m. MT (11 a.m. PT) at the CU Events Center in Boulder, Colo. The match will be streamed live.
- USC fell to 19-11 all-time with Utah and to 8-6 as the visitor in Salt Lake City.
- The Women of Troy and the Utes split the season series, the home team the victor in each meeting.
- The Trojans dropped to 47-15 in matches played in the Rocky Mountain states.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.