Skip to main content

Cal Earns Scoreless Draw With Utah

Oct 30, 2022
Cal returns to Edwards Stadium on Friday for final match of the regular season.

BERKELEY – California women's soccer dominated the opportunities and possession in Sunday's match with Utah at Edwards Stadium, but settled for a 0-0 draw with the Utes in the end. It was the Bears' ninth shutout and keeper Angelina Anderson's sixth clean sheet of the season.
Cal created the first opportunity of the match three minutes in when Noelle Bond-Flasza got possession and took the ball up the left side of the field. She made a pass to Keely Roy who was right at the edge of the box, allowing Roy to send it towards the Utah net. The shot went just over the top of the right side and the score remained 0-0.
Cal continued to control possession for the remainder of the half, taking nine shots and six corner kicks while Utah took neither.
At the half, Utah changed keepers while Anderson stayed in the net for the Bears, on her way to what would be her 26th career shutout.
The second half began in largely the same fashion as the first, with Cal continuing to control the tempo of the match. The game intensified as the half progressed, the two teams trading shots and fouls back-and-forth.
Utah earned a free kick in the 64th minute, but Anderson made the save with ease and maintained Sunday's clean sheet.
Utah keeper Evie Vitalie was shown a yellow card in the 70th minute, setting up a penalty kick opportunity for the Bears. Ayo Oke took the kick and sent it hurling to the right side of the net, but Vitalie knocked it out and the score remained gridlocked at 0-0.
Karlie Lema created a strong opportunity for the Bears ten minutes later as she charged up the field, outrunning the Utes and clearing the way for a shot from inside the box. Her shot nearly made it past the goal line, but it tapped the left post and was sent out of bounds to keep the game scoreless.
The Utes took a corner kick in minute 88, but Anderson flew up high to punch it out from in front of the net and crush Utah's last opportunity to score. The two teams battled in the last few minutes, Utah's Kaela Standish earning a yellow card in the process, but the 90 minutes expired before either could put points on the board.
Sunday's draw brings Cal's overall record to 10-4-5 and its conference record to 5-3-2. The Bears now hold a four-game unbeaten streak.
Cal returns to the pitch for its final match of the regular season this Friday at Edwards Stadium. The Bears take on rival Stanford at 3 p.m. on Nov. 4. The match will be aired on the Pac-12 Network.
For complete coverage of Cal women's soccer, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalWSoc), Instagram (@CalWSoc) and Facebook (/CalWSoc/).