Weekend Ends With Loss At UCLA
LOS ANGELES – The whirlwind third-set comeback fell short as Sun Devil Volleyball lost at UCLA in straight sets (25-20, 25-15, 31-19) on Sunday afternoon at Pauley Pavilion.
- Arizona State (11-15, 5-9 Pac-12) continues to struggle in LA, as UCLA (13-10, 7-7 Pac-12) continues to have success against ASU in Pauley Pavilion, winning every home matchup since 2014.
- Two Sun Devils earned double figures in kills. Junior Marta Levinska had 14 to lead the team, her sixth match in a row with double-digit kills, matching the longest streak of her career. Senior Iman Isanovic had 12, moving her into 10th place in the ASU record book for career kills with 1,306 total, passing Lisa Stuck (1980-83).
- Senior libero Annika Larson-Nummer had a team-high 13 digs, her 11th match in a row earning double figures in that category to extend the longest streak of her career. She's now seven digs from 1,000.
- Senior setter Shannon Shields notched a double-double with 25 assists and 12 digs. It is her third of the year.
- The block was solid, with the team earning seven blocks, led by four from Claire Jeter. Shields added three and Claudia Stahlke had three as well.
Set One: UCLA 25, ASU 20
With the teams close to start the set, a block from Shields tied it up at 6-6. A kill from Isanovic gave ASU the 8-7 lead, but UCLA got back on top with a 3-0 run, up 10-8. A block from Jeter and Shields got the Sun Devils within one, down 13-12, but the Bruins held onto the lead. After four unanswered from the home team to extend the lead to 18-13, ASU called a timeout. Despite a 4-1 run from Arizona State late in the set to make it 23-20, UCLA would hold the lead and win 25-20.
Set Two: UCLA 25, ASU 15
Starting off the set 8-6, the Sun Devils trailed close behind with kills from Levinska and Roberta to keep the set competitive. UCLA got to a 15-9 lead after scoring three in a row, a kill from Levinska ending the run. The Bruins continued to pull away with the set, bringing in a 18-10 lead after another run of three. The Sun Devils got a late kill from Geli Cyr, but a 4-1 run ended the set for the Bruins.
Set Three: UCLA 31, ASU 29
An early run from the Sun Devils brought in a 4-1 lead to start the set. Continuing the strong start, an ace from Larson-Nummer brought the score to 6-3. UCLA responded, going on a four-point run to tie the set at 10-10. The set saw lots of back and forth action, with a kill from Isanovic cutting into the Bruins' advantage at 15-14. A 5-1 run for ASU capped off by a block from Shields and Isanovic tied up the set at 20-20. A late timeout by the Sun Devils down 23-22 sent them on to tie the set at 24-24 from an ace from Larson-Nummer to hold off match point. From there, the teams went deep into extra points, with ASU getting to three set points and UCLA getting five match points. A kill from Isanovic tied it at 29-29, but the Bruins scored two in a row to complete the sweep.
Arizona State is back home next weekend to host Washington State and Washington on Friday and Sunday, respectively.